Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, here is my problem. About 8 weeks ago I started adding B-Ionic calcium and alkalinity buffer to my 50 gallon reef tank to raise my calcium. Calcium went up perfectly, but alkalinity went up to 16. I stopped the alkalinity buffer for a week and it went down to under 11, then when I did a water change it went back up to 13, my new mix is 10.6. What is going on?

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
OK, here is my problem. About 8 weeks ago I started adding B-Ionic calcium and alkalinity buffer to my 50 gallon reef tank to raise my calcium. Calcium went up perfectly, but alkalinity went up to 16. I stopped the alkalinity buffer for a week and it went down to under 11, then when I did a water change it went back up to 13, my new mix is 10.6. What is going on?

What salt aer you using?

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding that buffer raised the local pH and Alk to high giving. Do NOT add any more buffer of any kind, till it lowers. I wild leave it alone, it will come down fast enough on its own.

Ca++ + CO3- ---> CaCO3 solid

You will not really notice the loss of Ca++. If a mere 20 ppm Ca++ leaves solution it will take 2.8 dKH with it.

You DO NOT add buffer unless it is low. You DO NOT add buffer if pH is low. If both the pH and Alk are low it is OK to add a buffer and preferably baked baking soda. IO has a high dKH to begin with ~ 11 dKH. You should not let the Alk get higher than 10 -11 dKH, which is much higher than any reef. If your Caclium is low then just add the Calcium sup, no buffer. And what was the Calcium level and what did you raise it to ?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: