JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
well i been having low ph problems ever since i upgraded my sump size. Since doing this i do not have a ATO due to the size. I top every 3 days now and i think this is the cause of my low ph (7.8-8.0). I know some may say this is ok but i have no windows or no outside air on my A/C so i get high levels of c02. Before the upgrade i use about 1 gal of kalk per day. well today I used about 3 gals but very little change (8.2). So i wanted to upgrade to 4gals but wanted to hear your imput
water voulume = 350gal as of today
alk=10.2
calc=440
mag=1350

Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
boomer i will go into asking you this on a separate thread. jarrett i go through about 2 g a day on my 80g system, found a ratio that worked for me with amount of kalk. i use 1 teaspoon per gallons a little lower mix but now i have been adding some sps i need to up amount, they say 2 teaspoons per gallon

reefoman

memberator
Vendor
Rating - 97.7%
126   3   0
JARRETT SHARK said:
well i been having low ph problems ever since i upgraded my sump size. Since doing this i do not have a ATO due to the size. I top every 3 days now and i think this is the cause of my low ph (7.8-8.0). I know some may say this is ok but i have no windows or no outside air on my A/C so i get high levels of c02. Before the upgrade i use about 1 gal of kalk per day. well today I used about 3 gals but very little change (8.2). So i wanted to upgrade to 4gals but wanted to hear your imput
water voulume = 350gal as of today
alk=10.2
calc=440
mag=1350

Maybe try old school european method, did you check how many gallons evaporate in 18 hours period from your system?
If you can check it then in the night time fill this difference with kalkwasser, extent this process as long as you can let say from 12:00am to 6:00am.
For safety I was using second float switch, timer and solenoid valve on the RO line in case something happen with small valve on dosing tube...
5-6 years ago accident happen to my friend and whole kalkwasser even with not mixed yet powder goes to the tank, in the morning tank was looking like filled with milk, he had many sps corals and fish, can you believe or not but nothing happen.

my kalkwasser reactor was adjusted to 3-4 drops per second and filled over 2 gallons per night for 220 gal water volume.

Regards,
mark
Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob ( a bad name to have when I'm around :lol:)

It is 2 tsp/gal for saturated kalk that gives a pH of 12.45 However, what I tell people is use what you need. Two tsp / gal may be to much for some and then it may not be enough for others. Many guys find a means to increase the evaporation rate, which lets you increase drip drip. Thus, give more Kalk and better pH. An old trick to get more kalk in solution is to add some Vinegar.

Here is a good review on kalk chem and vinegar.
http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/kalkwasser.html

Shark

Well, now we throw a Ca reactor into the mess and that changes things. Many single stage reactors give low pH and often is the reason behind adding kalk drips. Try to run the reactor effluent into another container with reactor media. At times this will give back about 0.05 - .1 pH increase.

Did you guys see this thread ?

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/reefs-beginners/88526-ph-stuck-7-9-refuses-budge.html

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: