NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
ok, as this has been my main method o keeping cal, alk and mag i balance along with some esv 2 part when needed. i have done alot of reading on the matter, i am by no means a chemist or pretend to be, i am one of those thats undertands better seeing then having it written. so between boomers stuff have read and randy holmes farley, the one part or parts i ama little off on is this, first i willexplain how i dose ect.
i currently have a round about 80g total water voume system, which was recently mostly populated with zoa's and a few lps and a couple sps, { went through a bad batch of salt } and lost most of my sps. i have been using 1 tsp per gallon of ro water, i go through around 2g of top off water a day. this has enabled my ph to stay at 8.2 and 8.0 at night. and kept cal between 420-450 alk 9 and mag 1350. this with the help of around 25 ml of 2 part bi-daily.
i have tried higher amounts of kalks but it takes my ph alot higher then i want,
ok how i dose is i have a 18g top off contaner i fill then add 1 tsp per gallon mix real well then let sit for 24 hour's then switch out tubs for ato, i use a aqualift pump for my ato and each time my ato come on it add's around 2.5 cups at a time.
now that i have gotten to adding more sps i will have to up the amount of kalk used, so this is where my question comes in.
now i have read on the use with vinegar and kalk and how it affects it but have never really found a amount of vinegar to use per amunt of kalk, and alsowith the understanding hat vinegar helps dissolve the kalk better and brings ot more of the kalk's benifits, magnesium ect.
so my question is with the way i dose kalk woud i need to add the vinegar to my at bucket containing my kalk mix or do i dose the vinegar to the tank, i have notice when i have tried vinegar for helping to lower ph when i used a stronger mix of kalk that my coraline algea started to lighten in color and growth.
second part of question is my mehod of delivery any worse or beter then if i went with a kalk reactor ? but from my understanding of using a reactor you also will get sediments dose into the tank as well. sorry if this bounces around or mis-spelling { my keyboard types letters as it chose's at imes }

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still have questions after reading that article on the other thread ? I would not add and vinegar unless you feel you need more Kallk, as the Kalk currently is not enough. Kalk reactors are nice but if what you are doing is doing its job don't fix it as it ain't broke :)

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
lol well i have always been one that 2 opinions are better then one. still asking in reguards to the amount of vinegar for 18g of kalk water,
btw i am kinda simply, give me a car in a million parts and i can build it, throw me a simple biology phase and i am lost

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it is 15 ml Vinegar / liter of water and 1/2 teaspoon of Kalk powder

You have 18 gal

Volume
1 gal = 4.54609 liters

18 gal x 4.54609 = 127.29 liters

Vinegar

It is 15 ml / l of water
15 ml Vinegar x 127.29 liters = 1,909.35 ml Vinegar or 1.9 liters added to 18 gal

Kalk
It is 1/2 teaspoon kalk powder added to 15 ml of Vinegar/ liter of water

1,909 / 15 = 127

127 x .5 = 63.5 teaspoons Kalk

63.5 tsp = 1.3 cups Kalk / 18 gals

Procedure

1. Take 1.9 liters of Vinegar and slowly dissolve 63.5 teaspoons ( 1.3 cups) of Kalk powder.

2. Add 18 gal of RO/DI water

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
tyvm. this is in a manner i can understand,
now for secondary part, seeing vinegar works as a carbon source, i currently run the bio-pellets, wondering if this will have an effect on the bacteria on the pellets,

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
ok one last part to the question, i promise. so which do you think is the best delivery method of ading kalk ? mixing and using my ato to dose it, or using a kalk reactor ?

btw i grew up in indiana and ohio and miss the flat grounds, u ever go to the dog track up in Minn. ? got to love the lake winds and winters

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is kinda a choice, at reactor is better but can be a pain. Kalk in ato is nice and simple.

Nope never been to the dog or house track.

This is already a bad winter, lots of snow and has already hit -15 F and right now at noon it is - 10F

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: