Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, I have a new 55 gallon tank, and it has been cycling for 5 weeks. I have put in a domino, a chomi, yellow tang (to eat my hair algae), and a sleeper head goby.

I already got my basic water parameters right. (Nitrite at 0, Nitrate at 0, and Ammonia at 0) The pH is at 7.8

My question is, what is the next step as far as chemistry is concerned. (kH, Mg, Ca, etc.) I have put in some corals also, like chalices, a duncan, a condy anemone and some zoanthids.

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
Ok, I have a new 55 gallon tank, and it has been cycling for 5 weeks. I have put in a domino, a chomi, yellow tang (to eat my hair algae), and a sleeper head goby.

I already got my basic water parameters right. (Nitrite at 0, Nitrate at 0, and Ammonia at 0) The pH is at 7.8

My question is, what is the next step as far as chemistry is concerned. (kH, Mg, Ca, etc.) I have put in some corals also, like chalices, a duncan, a condy anemone and some zoanthids.

If you are going reef you need to test for KH,CA,MG Your Ph is low so most likely your mag cal and KH are all low . Use a good test kit to test all theys par Like Elos or Salifert test kits. And you need to test for P04 as well if there high your not going to get ride of that algae . Buy a haha phos checker for P04

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
too many fish to start putting in a tank that just cycled and seeing u just put a anenome in also, really need to slow down. nice tanks didnt become nice over night.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
You have to let a tank mature and stabilize before you just thro stuff in there. Just because you think you have your params right dosent mean they will stay that way for very long, especially since your adding so much livestock to a new system. Reef tanks take a long time to become stable and you have to add stuff slowly to build up bacteria colonies to take care of the bio-load. Do ALOT of research and stop adding stuff.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: