charile1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I have yellow zoas growing on a rock. What the best way to get them off? Can I scrape them off or do I need to chisel the rock?

tomzpc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My method for zoanthids. First wear gloves. Just get some powder free latex gloves to work with, especially when fragging zoanthids. Take a sharp razor blade or exacto and pull up the polyps gently from the rock at their base. Some zoanthids grow in a mat on the rock in which case you may be able to just peel a piece back with several polyps. Either way, the idea is to remove the poylp(s) from the colony by cutting as close to the rock as possible and with as little tissue damage as possible. Now take the fragged polyps (I find holding them with tweezers works best) and dab the base of them gently with paper towels. Apply a glop of super glue gel to the base of the polyps and also to a dry piece of rubble or disk that you want to attach them too. Attach the zoanthids to the rock, gently pushing it against the rock and holding it for several seconds with a toothpick or some other object. Then take the rubble with the attached zoas and hold it under water for several seconds. Finally place the zoa rock/disk somewhere in your system preferably in a low flow area where it is unlikely to be disturbed. You can cover it with bridal veil or place it in a cut-off plastic dixie cup with some sand in it to give it a better chance to fully attach itself. After a few weeks it should be good to do.

I find that the nicest zoanthids always grow the slowest (lol) so sometimes fragging is necessary! Oh...remember to avoid touching your eyes or mouth when fragging zoanthids.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: