LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A short sale I just put an offer on this morning (in LA county) happens to have a saltwater pool that has been let go some.

If I get it, or even if I dont, a saltwater pool is definitely on my 2014 to-do list, cause I dont often get time to drive down to SD area to go snorkellin.

Is turning a saltwater pool into a living lagoon/reef feasible? I wouldnt swim in it that often, but sometimes. I'd keep the rocks & stuff to the perimeter that way the center is free for swimmin & frolicking, as well as when I get much older, just for fish to have space to grow.

Is my dream practical, or... delusional? :eek:

Yea yea, I'll be askin on socal reef forum too, but would like a wider audience, esp considerin I'm a native new york and you guysngals are my hometown bros/sibs <3

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
this is on my to do list if I ever have enough money to spend on something like this!
However, I've always imagined it as an indoor pool to save from worry of environmental conditions.

The most expansive dream I had enough money for a retractable glass roof on the indoor pool, so when I wanted to, I could have direct open air sunlight,

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
saltwater pools are run with chlorine so obviously that would have to change. and you would need a HUGE skimmer to take out all the oils your skin puts in. and pools usually pretty deep, it would be interesting to use a par meeter to see what the readings are in the shallow end.

theres a mr. saltwater tank video on youtube of a guy doing something like this in florida. think his was only a foot or so deep though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8abL22pV30&feature=c4-overview&list=UUCzKPoHKV7TZal7Hf2aEGCA

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Saltwater pools don't need to be run with chlorine, there are Cl free systems which is actually the main reason people choose saltwater pools in the first place.

That said, if you wanted to house fish in it you'd be better off ripping the entire thing out and designing it from scratch. It's going to incredibly expensive trying to modify the existing hardware and pool and you'll still have to cut corners. Design it from the ground up and you'll be able to do what you want with it.

The name of the company that did the pond in Florida is Wetwork and they're based out of Louisiana.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: