scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I just got a new 8" Acropora Nobilis!
I've been saving a large space at the top of my tank for it in a real high flow area. After acclimatization I placed the coral in it's new home/spot .
It's sooo big that no matter how I turn it at least one of the branches touches, or rests on the live rock......is that gonna be ok?
Will it start dying off where it touches?I know these questions might sound dumb but I've never had an Acropora before. :tongue1:

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
if you're asking these questions, you likely shouldn't be getting SPS let alone a nobilus.

That being said -

Depending on the species, they can do a few different things in reaction to touching the rock. One could be that it will start calcifying on the rock when it starts growing - that's a good thing. Another is it could start to bleach if the rock has coralaine on it and they species is sensative to that - that's a bad thing.

I would do a little more resarch too, are you sure it's a nobilus?

House

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I don't see how asking a question like this means I shouldn't keep them or SPS?!
I have 5 Montis (Green purple rim, Green, Red, Purple,and a pink rim), they are all growing like crazy- but they are easy to keep.
I know all it's requirements and am sure I can meet them, YES it is a Nobilus-no doubt.
I just did not know if it would hurt it as, from what I've read it's more sensitive than the rest of my livestock! I'm only asking cause it cost an arm and a leg and I don't want unexpected problems to arise.
It's only touching one small spot near the end of a small tip, (the coral is sooo big I could probably just frag it there- after it's been in the tank long enough of course). There is no coraline where it touches-just bare rock.
I've seen in a friends tank another type of acro that touched the rock. It started growing onto the rock where it touched!

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
My putter be down so I'm using a borrowed laptop-ugh!
It took awhile but I figured it out!

RMD121266621.jpeg

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Scared me for a second!:bigeyes2: ha ha!
The pic was not taken in my tank.....where it looks totally differant.
It's a brilliant neon lime yellow green.
All the polyps are way out and waving around in the whipping currents...
seems to like it's new home!

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I am not trying to be rude, but I have also had many montipora's with great success before I started keeping Acropora - and my first wasn't a really expensive nobilus or 8".

Any hard coral will fight for space, this is not unknown or uncommon - montipora or acropora or even softies for that matter -

So, the outcome is unknown, you should know that - BUT, and that's a big but, the animal could certainly start anew on that new rock just as easily - no one will know til you try it.

if you're in doubt, frag it, but if you frag it - likely you'll run higher risk of hurting the animal than letting it touch the rock.

See what I mean . . . .

I would leave it and let mother nature take it's course.

House

m
I don't see how asking a question like this means I shouldn't keep them or SPS?!
I have 5 Montis (Green purple rim, Green, Red, Purple,and a pink rim), they are all growing like crazy- but they are easy to keep.
I know all it's requirements and am sure I can meet them, YES it is a Nobilus-no doubt.
I just did not know if it would hurt it as, from what I've read it's more sensitive than the rest of my livestock! I'm only asking cause it cost an arm and a leg and I don't want unexpected problems to arise.
It's only touching one small spot near the end of a small tip, (the coral is sooo big I could probably just frag it there- after it's been in the tank long enough of course). There is no coraline where it touches-just bare rock.
I've seen in a friends tank another type of acro that touched the rock. It started growing onto the rock where it touched!

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
the problem with large pieces is that is hard to place them so that the whole piece will be getting good lighting,flow,etc..
thats y we frag. else parts of it may just die off, but that shouldn't affect the whole piece.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: