A

Anonymous

I have this coral, "figi yellow leather" that everyone always wants a piece of.

I have the worst time getting it to attach to a rock.

Any tips for success? I can usually do it if I just keep trying, rubberbands, glue, fishing line, but I often lose alot of coral in the process.

The big problem is it needs to stay in good flow or the frag declines, so if it not very secure, it blows away. When it is too secure, the line or band cuts through the coral.

Lately I just hack a piece off for people and let them deal with it. :roll: But I like to have premade frags handy incase I need immediate trade material!

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know those little plastic swords at your local bar? I use those and just stab them into the coral. Then rubber band (or glue, or bolt down) the sword. When the coral grows down to the rock you can cut off the rubber band. I left the plastic inside since the coral grew over it. I did this with sinularia that sat right in front of a powerhead with no problems. You can always try superglue as well, this works better for some corals than others.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you can use a toothpick instead of that plastic sword. Altho the sword probably does look a little kewler... :wink:

Shane

jorcutt

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Round toothpicks do the trick. I usually ruberband the toothpick down and superglue just one little tip where the leather touches the rock. I know some people are afraid to use maracyn in their reef, but I ALWAYS use it when cutting up yellow leathers. I usually have 6-8 frags at a time and put a half tablet under the rubberband holding the toothpick on each. I do this when the frag is initially made, and usually again the next morning. My success rate with Maracyn is about 80-85%...without, more like 30-40%. (Just use the freshwater maracyn, no need to pay 4 times as much for the saltwater variety, cause you don't need the vitamins).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maracyn eh??

So is that to prevent an infection, or do you think it promnotes healing in the frag?

Just curious, never occured to me to try anything like that.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: