A

Anonymous

Ok, sort of a newbie question...

Can I fix GSP cuttings onto other material?

And also... - In a fight for space between GSP and Xenia, who usually turns out the winner?

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck using superglue gel to adhere the mat that the green star polyps grow from onto liverock rubble. Worked much better than the rubber band method.

In a fight between GSP's and Xenia...who knows. They're both weeds. :)

Shane

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know that between GSP's will win out when pitted against Anthelia sp. Since Anthelia and Xenia are related that might give an indication of what might happen, but really it's anybody's guess. :)

Shane

jorcutt

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do ANYTHING with star polyps and super glue! I actually have a bunch of these 8x10 sheets of acrylic that I glue starpolyp chunks to. That way I can grow flat mats of them that can then be cut to size, peeled off, and superglued to whatever little thing I want. I'm a big fan of using them as my tank backgrounds and to cover up overflow boxes. They definitly grow better on a porus surface like acrylic than they will on glass though. As for the polyp v. xenia...tough to call. I would guess it'd depend on the species and on which one your tank's water parameters cater to more.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had both over take each other. One instance, the gsp had the rock coverred, and the xenia wonderred on top the gsp and took hold(gsp still is alive, it just doens't get much light). Another case, the gsp actually grew up the stalk of the xenia, creating a tube of gsp coverring the xenia. It didn't kill it, and it's still like that today (2 years later). So I guess I'm saying, neither, both are equals, IMO.

Gresham

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: