larrylwill

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a toadstool leather that I got as a Frag a couple years ago. For the last several months there are appearing babies comming out the sides of the stalk below the top. It is laying on its side and appears to be detaching from its rock. The base is starting to look skinny. It has about 9 babies growing from it. Here is a picture, Its retracted because I moved it to get a good picture, normally it and the babies are extended.

Question: What should I do to preserve or propagate the babies? Anything?

thanks

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,653
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,642

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it looks like the leather is slowly detaching from its base. This happens on occassion, perhaps because it's not happy where it's currently situated. You can expedite the process by simply taking a clean scissor and snipping the leather's stalk at the thinnest point. Then reposition the leather somewhere else. I've found that gluing with super glue gel and rubber bands don't work very well. So nowadays, I just find a nice small hole where I can cram the leather's stalk into; In a week, it should attach.

As for the babies, I'd let them pop out on their own. They look too small to cut off and relocate, so I think you should let them grow out and see what happens. They may fall off or they may end up offshooting from the main stalk and make a nice leather "cluster" for you.

larrylwill

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took another picture.
Would you put it closer to the light or down lower?
right now its between the 2 bulbs 2/3 near the top.
I have 2 - 40w actinic and 2 - 175w MV over a 55 gal.
Its been there for more than a year.

thank you

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: