JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just woundering if there was a way to make mushrooms move from there location to another. I bought a small piece of rock last easter and now under the MH the are getting Hudge and all overlapping one another. I want them to move to some nicer locations but not sure how to get them to release from the rock they are on. Any advise if this is even possible.
Thanks
J.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
J.

Unfortunately, there's no easy way. Once shrooms attach, it's impossible to remove them cleanly. You're going to have to move the entire rock to move the mushroom.

One easy way to propagate mushrooms is to lay a bunch of small to medium sized rocks around the mushroom colony. The shrooms will spread across the small rocks and you can pluck the rocks off and replace the rocks as they spread.

Be careful with mushrooms :P They can really grow like weeds and be hard to eliminate in the future.

JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the inside.
I actually just did sometihng like you sugested and it worked. However; what do you mean the shrooms grow like weeds; do you thing I am going to have an issue? Is there some way to be prepared?

Thanks
J.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len,

how do you propagate shrooms...ive had mine since last august, doing well i might add, however they arent reproducing like "weeds"..actually i have no new mushrooms..do these things actually grow on their own or is it a prop technique you have to do?

Palmetto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an awesome pair of kitchen scissors to snip the Live Rock around Ricordea mushrooms into a small chip, attempting to leave the foot's grip on the rock chip undamaged.

Then, I use superglue (cyanacrolate) gel to glue the CHIP to whatever rock I want to, holding the glued rock underwater while it cures for about 15 seconds.

You can use this to combine different types of mushrooms on the same rock, or to make Rainbow Ricordea rocks.

You can also combine other corals, of course.

:)

rainbows_9817.jpg

The main thing is not to let glue get on the shrooms- they hate it and slime away from glue.

You can also slice many types into small pieces- but they take awhile to attach and usually get lost in the current and die. Bridal Veil can hold them in place for this, but I like just moving the chip they already have a healthy footing on.

I agree that some shrooms can turn into plagues- usually the little striped, spotted, or green discosomas that just take the reef over with little SPS-stinging babies.

I love Rics, though!

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So superglue can cure underwater? I did a similar thing when i bought some individual mushroom and ricorea polyps that were attached to crushed coral, just glueing the crushed coral onto small pieces of live rock, but i took them out and patted the areas dry before gluing. If I can do it underwater it would be much easier....

Palmetto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it actually cures BEST underwater. It really bonds tightly when you glue out of the water and then dunk it.

:)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree with palemetto on superglue, ive used it myself with frags...it cures awesome in water...thanx for the advice also

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: