ojesus10

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me with some superglue to anchor some frags. I need to know what kind of superglue to get and where to get it. I got some super glue gel and Krazy glue from my local 99 cents store but they just won't stick.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the "gel" kind? There's two kinds of superglue: the standard stuff which is pretty low in viscosity (like water) and then there's the gel stuff, which is higher in viscosity (like maple syrup). Use the gel kind. It will say if it's a gel or not on the package. Typically I put a blob of superglue gel down on a piece of live rock rubble and squash the frag I'm trying to mount into that. It normally takes a bit for the frag to stick and to help speed it up you can hold the frag under water to help it "set" quicker.

hth

Shane

ojesus10

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies but I did get the gel type and it won't stick, maybe I should dry the rocks im placing the frags on. How long do you usually set the frag on to let the glue set.

[)R@G()N

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dry the rock a little before putting the glue on. Then I hold the frag in place for about 15-20 seconds (or longer), and dip it in and out of the water which will help harden the glue.

fredso2003

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with a dry rock and pat dry the frag ,use gel only and it will stick,like the other guy said dip it a few times to speed it up and get it to set...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you did not get the gel type try to get a small puddle on the rock. You will have to hold the frag for a bit longer. I had to do this last week when I ran out of the gel and had to use the free flowing. If the rock is real pourous it will be a bit more difficult.

jjharrisx4

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy my glue at a hobby shop...That way I get a much larger container for a great price. Depending on the coral being glued, if it is real slimey, like colt, or xenia, you may need to use some bridal veil or similar item to help hold the frag in place vs. using glue by itself. Also, I've had a tough time with some leathers because as they expand and shrink they work themselves out of the glue...once again, you can use the veil, or use a needle and fishing line to attach to a piece of LR. Happy reefing!

Saltykirk

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rocks, pat frag dry w/ towel or cloth. Give it a few seconds. The trick for me was putting enough w/o putting too much. Have fun.

DaisyPolyp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone tried using Gorilla Glue to frag? I've had great results with the saltwater curing it very fast, I just don't know if it is toxic or whatever.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me tell you my mistake, maybe it's the same as yours: I used to put glue on the frag then submerge it in the tank and try to stick it to a rock. It will never stick. You have to get the rock out of the water (big pain with big rocks at the bottom of the structure), dry it a bit (pat with paper towel) then glue it. It holds very well now.

For leathers I had good luck with toothpicks.

M.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glue frags in the tank all the time and rarely have a problem as long as it isn't something super slimy like xenia or mushrooms.

How I personally do it is I put a glob of super glue gel on the frag, then a glob where I want the frag to go, then I quickly mush them together and hold for a few seconds. You have to work pretty quick and put the glue on the rock right before you put the frag on it, or the superglue gel gets a skin that makes it hard to stick to.

I have a friend that glues his similarly to this, except he dips the glue that is on the frag briefly in dry sand before pushing it to the rock, he says this makes it more cement like and it sets up faster, but I never have dry sand laying around and thus have never tried it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: