[)R@G()N

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you could break the rock up and you would have multiple frags on multiple rocks. Or you just cut them off and super glue/use a tooth pick/string it to some rock rubble or something of that nature.

[)R@G()N

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. If you cut them they just grow back. If you don't want them to grow back, I've heard that you can try scrubing off the extra part that's still on the rock or cut them as low as you can then put super glue or something like that over them to get them from growing back.

Sprattoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to try just >snip<ing off one little head of mine this weekend to see if that works.

Sprattoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sadly, I tried just snipping off one.. and it croaked.

I'm thinking I might need to take a bit of that flesh mat they spread around and "sprout from" to be more successful.

Sprattoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know Xenias could potentially be toxic?!??!

I knew about the zooanthids.... Dang I need to read more.

mark78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wear gloves to prevent your skin oils dirt bacetia etc from getting in the open wound of the coral I'd guess.

Reefer2b

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're not toxic. Just slimy.

spratoo.....after you snip it you need to mount it or at least hold it down. I used to just pin it down with another rock. otherwise, when it opens up again, it'll just blow around and fade away unless it gets wedged on something and can attach.

now, if I'm mounting 6 or seven heads on a piece of rock I'm planning to sell to a LFS, I actually use a needle and thread. only takes a day or two to get them to attach. tom

Sprattoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week or so I discovered a good way to propogate my xenias. I snip off 2 heads with the fleshy mat that attaches them. Or I should say I peel back the mat and snip off a couple.
Then run a small rubber band around the bit of rock between the polyps. after a few days I cut off the elastic... Seems to be working so far!

Saltykirk

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set some on a flat piece of plastic or glass. Then just scrape it off & rubberband or superglue to new rocks. I clean mine off the backglass & it is real easy to harvest that way. I just wish I could some blue xenia!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: