cdeakle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a total newbie when it comes to fragging corals. In fact, I have never fragged a single coral unless you qualify breaking branching frogspawn stalks which I don't. Anyways...

I have this awesome looking Blastomussa, everytime a new reefkeeping buddy comes over the first thing they say is whenever you frag that Blastomussa out let me know!. So I figure its time to learn how.

If you can help me out please do! You might have to talk me through it like a 4th grader :wink:

DaisyPolyp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
puff, you're in luck - Eric Borneman writes "B. merleti is an excellent candidate for captive propagation". Blastomussa may be propagated by division of the skeleton keeping one or more polyps on the severed piece. Basically, just cut off pieces that include at least 1 whole polyp, and whammy! you'll have a growing frag.

P.S. let me know how much they're going for!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
merletti is one of the easiest corals to frag

all you have to do is break off a polyp stalk near the base and you're done

every stalk can be turned into a (1 polyp) frag

as the merletti grows, the polyp should divide, and a new colony begins :)

hth

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oopsy

:oops:

well, anyway-the two merletti colonies in the pic came in as one piece, so i broke it into two :wink:

you can see some of the individual polyp stalks that broke off (3) at the front right (sorry for the pic angle)

Attachments

• merletti1.jpg
    merletti1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 2,050
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How nice Chris...i didnt know you were gonna frag some Blasto for me...I really appreciate it :D ..i have not found that at my LFS...the other LPS i want is trumpet or candy cane... so if you figure it out Chris...let me know

DaisyPolyp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cdeakle":wjav8ly6 said:
Give it to me, I'll frag it for ya. I'll even let you keep the larger piece!

:lol:

How about you teach me and I will send you a frag for free 8)

...you're second in line. I told him how to frag it and my piece hasn't arrived yet :wink:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: