nanoreefer88

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got reddish colored colt coral from my LFS and the base tirned white and it detached itself from the rock it was on so just as an experiment i cut it in half and the halves are fine now. but they just foal around how can i secure them to a rock without damaging them

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way is to just wedge them between two other pieces of rock or into a hole in existing rock. If that won't work, you can use any number of methods.

1- a toothpick rammed thru the base of the frag, then tied to a rock with a rubberband or fishing string.
2- fishing string over the frag (will likely cut thru it though)
3- bridal veil around the entire rock with the frag between it and the rock on the topside.

Basically, if you can secure it for a few days to a week, it will attach and off it goes.

Wade

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The methods wade mentioned work. With colt you need to be extra carfull because it tears, mushes etc easly.

zygoweb

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made reef plugs and I drilled holes in them, then I cut a branch of my colt coral into about nine frags, then I used a needle from the pharmacy to push through the colt coral and into the reef plug, they have been held up against the plug for 49 days and when I pull the needle out the whole frag comes with it. I cannot get them to attatch, I have tried the bridal veil thing and it isn't working for me. I just can't fiugre it out. The tootpick thing, it seems like when I tried that it stuck to the toothpick but not the coral plug

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zygoweb-
rdo_welcome.gif

With the toothpick method, you are supposed to leave the toothpick in place in the coral. Once it is in the tank for a while, it will be eaten up very quickly. (wood doesn't last long in reef tanks)

I wouldn't suggest using the needle because you don't want to leave it in place for too long (even surgical stainless rusts after a while).

The BEST way is just to put the frag between two pieces of rubble and wedge them against it. That seems to work above all other methods.

Good luck!
Wade

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: