coralfarmin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
this thread has been modified to log the progress on a attached greenhouse that is 16x20 ft.
It started as the log for a commercial size greenhouse that is my next project, after this one is complete.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located at sir? I have greenhouses for perennials but never considered them for coral farming since I am up here in B.F.E NYS

Are you running heaters in there, or are you in a naturally benign climate?

coralfarmin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am located in southeastern NC..heating will be a issue

greenhouse propagation is not new...there is a book by Anthony Calfo with details on his "book of coral propagation"..his was in Pitsburg Pennsylvania

Tropicorium and a few others use them...the best I have seen imo is by a member here ( treeman) he is in Davie Florida

spawner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand are you using? Our Apex greenhouse made it through 24 hours of 100mph winds with little damage. Second hurricane killed it. 120mph winds. SE NC is due for another storm season soon. I would use a doubled walled 6 mil plastic for the cover. The air pocket will keep it insulated in the winter.

andy

coralfarmin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a greenhouse bending tool made by Lost Creek..I will be fabricating the bows and braces..it takes 3-10.5ft (1 3/8") chanlink fence top rails and 2-1 5/8" terminal posts whatever height desired for each bow

I will be using 2 layers of 6 mil anti fog condensate plastic inflated with a blower

spawner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a some 70% shade cloth on top of the plastic in the summer time. We use it year round down here but I don't know if you need the shade in the winter. Sink the bows in good and anchor them with concrete. I was shocked how well ours held up. When you guys get back on track with a hurricane every year, then just take your cover off and let it ride. It will hold up much better.

andy

coralfarmin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wife now insists that I finish the greenhouse I have attached to the house before I construct a second :lol: (The reason this thread has been edited) :)

I shingled the roof and got some polycarbonate that I will install after painting, I went ahead and cut some of the polycarb to see how it will install here are some pics of the progress on the attached greenhouse

Attachments

• greenhousepoly2.jpg
    greenhousepoly2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 7,717

coralfarmin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
overall shot of the unfished inside that needs insulation, wall covering and alot more other work :D

Attachments

• gh inside.jpg
    gh inside.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 7,701

coralfarmin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got all the polycarbonate panles installed and panited the knee wall and under the panels inside with a 25 year exterior paint.

I just got the insulation and plan to cover the roof & walls with white viynal siding after I get the insulation installed.

should have all that done before the weekend is over,then it wont take much more work before the vats are filled :D

Attachments

• insidepanels.jpg
    insidepanels.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 7,673

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: