A

Anonymous

I'm setting up a 200 gallon prop tank. I'm gonna run 3x250w mh over my 16" deep tank, and will be doing bare bottom in the tank. Now as for the sump, aside from having my skimmer and calcium reactor down there, should I have some live rock and macro algae? Or do I just let the skimmer and frequent water changes take care of everything? Do I just have macro algae and no rock? I'm pretty clueless on this part.

thanks

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a prop tank setup, personally, I would not bother with macro or live rock in the sump. Especially running BB with a good skimmer.
You probably wouldn't have enough nutrients to grow macros anyway. :wink:

coralfarmin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I can barly grow macros in my 1200 gallon fishless system,and thats in sunlight, I have 4-5 types and none grow very much....but hey the coraline has almost covered the 300 gallon vats already :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you have live rock in the tank itself? I was planning on not having anything in the tank but egg crate and frags. Is it ok to run a system without any live rock at all?

coralfarmin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could and I have, but I think you should add some atleast to the sump
to inoculate the water.

I probably only have 200 lbs in 1200 gallons. Thats just cause I had no were else to put it....but I like to watch the rate of growth of coraline on the vats also...and I'd not have that without the rocks.

in the 180 gallon tank connected to the vats I just have white milk crates on the bottom, and a fiberglass shelf on the back glass

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: