fali

need tank crash insurance
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Do acans NEED rock to encrust on in order to grow? Or can i leave them on the sand bed and they will grow without attaching to anything.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Both species mentioned here of Acanthastrea will grow faster if placed on a solid substrate. A. lordhowensis will grow extremely slow (in comparison), if on sand.

fali

need tank crash insurance
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
My acan lords grow fast in my tank.

Thanks for the input guys. The reason why i'm asking is because i want to put my frags on the sand but i needed to know if i gotta glue them to some rock in order to grow first. I was hoping i didn't have to glue them to rock in order to grow.:(

Last edited:

OctaviousMonk

Sucka Free Reefin' !!!
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
You can glue it to a larger piece of frag or rubble rock and then put that in the sand. Mine is setup in a similar way and it is growing like wild fire in my sand. When I moved it higher up it started to lighten up and loose color.

OctaviousMonk

Sucka Free Reefin' !!!
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
This is my acan when I first got it all beat up and dying. I had it in a 55 under PC's up real high. This was around a year or so ago

The second is when I first upgraded to my 72 with mH about 8 months ago. I had it up high for a while, but it started bleaching out so I moved it down low.

The last was taken today.

Attachments

• Aquarium 026.jpg
    Aquarium 026.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Tank 112.jpg
    Tank 112.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Picture 115 (Large).jpg
    Picture 115 (Large).jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: