cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I've read about this happening, but never thought I'd be lucky enough to experience it. About 5 months ago a frag of Hydnophora broke lose from the rock and fell on top of my bright, fluorescent orange fungia. This little fungia was probably my most favorite coral of all. It was severely stung and the tissue began to recede rapidly. Within a week there was nothing left but the skeleton. I was so bummed!

I remembered reading somewhere that if a fungia dies to leave it in your tank because they have been know to suddenly start cloning themselves months after dying. So, I just left it there at the front of my tank and waited.

3 weeks ago I thought I began to see tiny fungia budding from the skeleton, but they were so small I couldn't see them well enough to tell. This week they are now maybe 1-2 millimeters across and large enough for me to definitively say they are indeed teensy new fungia corals complete with itty-bitty tentacles. I?m feeding them cyclopeez with a syringe and hopefully that will help them grow.

There are nearly 2 dozen of them now that have popped up all around the old skeleton. I am so psyched! My favorite coral has come back from the dead! Check it out!

fungia_babies.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: