JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
My montipora cap appears to be developing a white blotch, what could this be from? Is it natural adjustment to differnt lighting?

rbtwo4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Dude that white blotch is no good. Means dead tissue. U either have it in a high flow area or too high in ur tank I recommend u get it into a low flow area with some shade. Is this a new monti cap??? If so then that's what it is. U have to slowly get that cap adjusted to ur tank, flow and lighting. Samething happened to my purple cap. I put it up too high into a high flow area and found what looked like mucus and it turned into a white blotch and 1/2 the cap died. As soon as I moved it the cap started te regrow in the area that died. Took some time but I can definitely see the growth! Hope that's what it is and helps.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
attachment.php

does it look like this?

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I've got the same problem. 1 of my caps is starting to bleach from the center. Polyps look fine. My alk was up at 10 as of last Saturday, but I'll check it again tonight.

Nate

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I just moved the montipora to about 12inches down from top of water, in a hope that the white blotch is from too much lighting and flow. I believe this ti be the culprit, because my millipora and birdsnest look so good and are typically less hardy.

LESLIE S: It doesnt look like that, more like a typical bleaching in the center.

Should I cut off the bleached part, or just assess changes it make with the lower lighting and flow?

rbtwo4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Nooooooooooooooooo don't cut anything off. I wish I was home to send u b4 after pics of the problem I had when it bleached and to how its growing now. Anyway pm & I will tonight or tomorrow. But anyway the dead part will be grown over u will see. Damn I wish I was home 2 send u pics my cap was BAD! Now its beautiful.

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
DAMNNNN! I cut off the bleached part, relocated it to about 4inches lower in tank, I put both the unbleached piece and the bleached piece in the tank. Hope I didnt do anything bad

Vic8361

Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Believe it or not, sometimes the blotchy syndrome does not come from atop, but from underneath

Take a second to blow a turkey baster underneath the Cap to see if any nudi's come flying off.

Leslie, I remember your thread and saying to double check your alk, this is a very likely culprit as well.

House
This is pretty good info.
Believe it or not motiporas can crap out really fast if your alk changes.
Vic

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: