Tito

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Zoos are beatiful but at what risk?

My understanding is that you can eat them and be fine but if the toxin gets into your bloodstream ***Your Heart WILL stop***

fali

need tank crash insurance
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
All my corals had contact with my skin for the past year and nothing really happenned. I felt a slight tingling sensation but thats about it. I %100 agree to wear goggles and a mask to cover your mouth when taking any coral out of your tank. Also make sure to wash your hands after handling corals just incase you plan on eating something afterwards. Don;t want that slime still on your hands.

Another thing you might have to watch out for is some people who could have allergic reactions, just like bee stings. You never know.

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
i think some people might have allergic reactions to the toxin so thats why they feel a much more bigger effect...

i did frag a few zoas recently and with bare hands and after i was done...i did have a minor respiritory probem and felt somewhat dizzy......or it could be from drinking too much coffee....:biglaugh:

but just be careful guys.....im going to get a box of gloves just in case

Tito

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i think some people might have allergic reactions to the toxin so thats why they feel a much more bigger effect...

i did frag a few zoas recently and with bare hands and after i was done...i did have a minor respiritory probem and felt somewhat dizzy......or it could be from drinking too much coffee....:biglaugh:

but just be careful guys.....im going to get a box of gloves just in case

That sounds a little scary. You definitely want to watch what your doing. You may be hypersensitive or who knows, maybe you had a slight cut and took some toxin.

fishguttz

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some zoanthids at the frag swap. I put them in my tank barehanded and I did taste metal in my mouth afterwards. I have kids so I am probably going to donate them to a fishtore or somebody.

Tito

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I got some zoanthids at the frag swap. I put them in my tank barehanded and I did taste metal in my mouth afterwards. I have kids so I am probably going to donate them to a fishtore or somebody.

That is a very common symptom people have after touching Zoos. Not a good thing especially with kids around.

My only thought is.....

How many people have been found dead in their home or just outside and the doctor says it was a heart attack. Well yes, but the heart attack may have come from Zoos! And the thing is is that mortuary's are probably not going to be looking for palytoxin. Scary!

Shad

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have not posted on here in awhile , but I am on here pretty much everyday.
But this thread sparked a interest to me because I have had some of these symptoms myself. Every time I come into contact with these particular zoos in my tank I find it hard to breathe and I get what seems to be a serious allergic reaction. My lungs seem to feel as if they are closing up on me. I get a serious mucus build up in my throat and breathing becomes pretty tough.
I could never really figure it out, but I have suspected that those evil looking zoos were the culprits.

Tito

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Shad - if I were you I would be careful. Allergic reactions get worse with every occurance.

It is estimated that it takes 4 Micrograms to kill an adult.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Micrograms: [/SIZE][/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Micrograms: A unit of mass equal to one-millionth of a gram.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Source: http://www.asanltr.com/newsletter/02-2/articles/Neurotoxins.htm see the Palytoxin paragraph.

fali

need tank crash insurance
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Someone should make a "toxic coral species" list to warn us which corals to avoid or be careful with.

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Corals are VERY old evolutionarily speaking. they lack claws, they cannot run away, and their stinging parts do not harm the animals that might eat them - only the animals they want to eat and each other... so how do they protect themselves from predators?

TOXINS!!!

These toxins make corals a valuable source for medicines, actually.

And the bit about allergies is very serious - every encounter after an allergic reaction is established increases the immune response - the reaction itself may do more damage than the allergen! But this is different than suffering from the toxin.

The toxin can hurt/kill you if it gets into your blood stream through its own cascade reaction. Allergies are different, though.

Those who are allergic, on the other hand, need only to contact not just the toxin, but other parts of the coral as well. Any part of the coral that gives off a protein can trigger an allergic reaction (a different cascade reaction than the toxin causes), and there are receptors for these allergens ON OUR SKIN!!!!! So you can't rely on "i have no cuts on my hands/arms" if you are an allergic person.

Without knowledge of specifics, this is the way these two things differ - hope that helps...

But i have to wonder how your kids can get their hands in the tank... Maybe my kids are just super-cautious (come to think of it, they pretty much are...) but there are lots of other dangerous things in our homes - like our OVENS! if we take the proper precautions, we can keep our families and our tanks safe, I hope!

Tito

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You haven't met my son and my daughter. One five and one four. They are bebes kids in the flesh! If you leave them alone in a misile silo - they will figure out how to launch a misile!

They will also brake everything in the dang silo as well!

Shad

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all the information. I have been more cautious when sticking my hand in the tank. I need to purchase a couple of those long sleeve gloves. Anyone know where to get some? ......home depot, loews?

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
just to bump this thread up again... my snail (not a sundial its actually an astrea) is eating some of my zoas... im really afraid to put my hands in to stop it because of the toxin( i can kinda see the zoas squirting it out)... i'll let it be unless this toxin is harmful to fish/corals as well. anyone have livestock die as a result of this?

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Last year a man died due to contact with the toxin in NYC. That was because the hospital had no idea as to what they were dealing with.

If you do have a reaction to something in your tank that requires immediate attention, try to go to Bellevue on 31st and 1st Ave in Manhattan. They have the best poison control center in the world (I'm not exaggerating). Bring a photo of the coral, and the name if you have it, it might help.

If you are in a life or death situation head to the NEAREST hospital.

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
kris... the snail is definately an astrea... gray no stripes cone shaped. i guessed it just liked popping it :irked:

FrostyNYC

Nano Tank N00b
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Well I went and poisoned myself tonight on a watermelon zoa. Didnt realize I had a tiny scabbed/open wound on my hand while moving zoas around in my tank. I didnt know about the wound until I knew something was wrong with me. My hand almost immediately felt warm, and two minutes later it was numb. I washed it with vinegar and H202, and prayed. Its 30 minutes later and I'm still alive, so I think I'll make it.

But anyway, this is really no joke. I use gloves and goggles when handling them out of the tank, but I didnt know I could have a reaction to them in the tank as well. So just be careful, everyone.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: