danelam

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I've just received a few single ricordea polyps and don't know how to attach them to rocks in my aquarium. Will i need epoxy? I don't have any!!

They're currently acclimating, but I'm not sure how this will work.!!

Thanks alot,

Dane

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Do they have any little bits of rock on the back of them?
If so, use IC Gel and glue them onto a bigger rock or piece of rubble.
After you put the glue on, immediatley put the piece into a container of water (glue gets hot when it sets..this keeps from burning the coral in case any gets on it).

If there are no bits on rock on the back, you should put them into a low container that has small rubble in it, secure them gently in the container with some sort of netting and allow them to attach on their own..it could take a few days to a week or so. Then glue them onto something bigger.

Last edited:

danelam

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
glad you're online Kathy - thought you'd know a thing a two about this! No bits of rock as far as I can see - one of the polyps is very shrivelled and doesn't look too good.

What kind of netting do you mean? Like from an aquarium net?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Sorry to hear there's no small bits on the back..that's always a pain...
yes, like an aquarium net, or tulle (the stuff wedding veils are made of). Will admit that I have stolen the netting from a fish net in a pinch :)

Just acclimate it slowly and if it's shriveled, put it in low light in low-medium flow and make sure it doesn't blow away!
Do you have a sump Dane?

Oh..if the flow is too low, they will turn to jelly..not a good thing...

danelam

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
sump is not operational yet unfortunately... man I should have researched this before they arrived but I honestly didn't think about it. There are two on plugs so that will be fine, but the other three are unattached. I'll have to cut up one of my nets as I don't have any wedding veils lying around the apartment :)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Eek! Rubberbands...:( the pain!!!!!!...

Poor mans (or el cheapo way to do this..) ricordia hook up... or if you have too much flow for them...
Gut (my favorite word lately) an aquarium net. Put LITTLE bits of rubble in there and some sand then put the ricordia on top of that & tie it shut..kinda like an Easter basket. Then you can hang it (need to be creative here, I use fishing line) in your tank in medium/low flow and medium light until it attaches.
The ric needs to remain face up!
Rics are hard to keep from floating away when you're trying to get them to attach...:)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: