rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I have a 4 head frag of acans.....and other acan colonies.
The frag has been in my system(and I would say growing) for about 1 month.

Just now I noticed a new peppermint shrimp(I got him to eat aiptasia, about 4 days ago) picking at my acan frag. Then I noticed a decent amount of white skeleton on the acan(2 heads... one on outside, one in the middle).

Was the peppermint eating the acan, or cleaning the dead tissue.

ALSO...Ive noticed the acan frag was closed late last night(3 AM)...but I didnt see any die off or skeleton last night.

My other acans are closed alittle more than usuall, but aside from that seem fine....

All other livestock seems fine(except my dendro which is closed up also)

Ask me any other questions...PLEASE HELP ME
I checked ammonia today, its @ 0

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
You need to check ALL of your water parameters..Ca, Alk, Mg, temp, your salinity?
Are you putting any additives into the tank..if so, what?
The peppermint would have been eating dead tissue..not guilty of the crime itself.

FREEZE

colonist
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I'd do a water change. when did you do your last one? I might do a little more than usual as well (maybe do 20 or 25%). it may be a water quality issue, although acans are pretty tough, ime.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
salinity1.025
calcium is 410
temp=78.4
I dont know alk & Mag...will have to test those aswell
did water change last week(10%) I also added live stock(total of 5 gl change on 34 gl tank)
Im going to do a small change now...2 gallons.

Oh..Im using the prepackaged salt water....could that have given me a pest or disease?

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
salinity1.025
calcium is 410
temp=78.4
I dont know alk & Mag...will have to test those aswell
did water change last week(10%) I also added live stock(total of 5 gl change on 34 gl tank)
Im going to do a small change now...2 gallons.

Oh..Im using the prepackaged salt water....could that have given me a pest or disease?

Highly doubtful.
Are you using pre-packaged to do this water change?
Please test the Alk & PH also.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Yes, I used the prepackaged water for this change as well... I did about 4 gallons on this change...it was done quickly, so the temp dropped down to 76.5...its on the raise now though.

PH=8.2(or maybe 8.0...these test suck...instant ocean)

Alk looks about 8(which I guess is dKH)

Last edited:

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
KATHYC....where do you keep your calcium?
Ive been told that anywhere from 350-450 is ok(everyone has there own opinion)

Mine seems to settle at 400-410(after I add B-ionic 2 part, and add calcium 2x per week)

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
ok..thanks

I moved the small acan frag to the ohter side of the tank...peppermint never goes there(that ive seen in 4 days of having him)...I think the acan die off was so fast(24 hours and 3 heads got hit) that I thought something was eating it, not die off....I will see

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I think its the peppermint...everytime I look(@ night) he is near an LPS(acan or dendro).
I just moved the dendro, and as I looked back at the original spot, the peppermint had moved from the dendro's spot, to the acan's spot...
I hope this made sense

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
It was being eaten....
I moved it away...it opened up...I can see that some of the meaty parts were eaten, but no skeleton is visible.
Correct me if im wrong, but that means that it was eaten, not dying off.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Its night time...I will get one tomorrow, 2 heads had the inside eaten...and 1 or 2 other heads are missing outside, or have skeleton showing(there are 7 heads in total).
I saw them last night and they were fine(no missing tissue).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: