Jpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I have a green and red open brain coral. They both seem to have some damage at their edges, I see the white skelatons showing, and the red one seems to also have tissue receding, and one of it's two mouths seem hard and not fleshy while the other side is. Fed them both a little bit of silverside fishes which they ate up. What should I do? I have a 50 gallon tank, 200w power compacts, and corals are on the substrate.

Jpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Don't have a camera. 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 8.3 ph calcium 480 kh 214.8 they are spaced apart on sandy substrate. Tank has been set up for over a year, have zoas leathers, mushrooms, purple tang, three damsels, a fire fish, and a maroon clown, two bubble tip anemones, and a clam, everything is spaced out and nothing touches each other. also 3 hermit crabs, a cleaner shrimp, pepermint shrimp, and 2 big snails. I have been trying to feed both mouths on each coral and I seem to be having success, I have also covered both of them with plastic bowls to keep the crabs, shrimps, and fish off of them so they won't be picked at. Any suggestions? Can they grow back?

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Another possibility that could be happening in your tank....start watching the tang and the damsels. If you have a piece of brain that had some algae (rock its on or around the edges) the tang might be nipping at that and might miss, biting the brains. You might not even catch this without watching your tank all day. Starts to slowly kill off the coral leaving you bewildered as to why. As far as the damsels go they are capable of destroying anything in the tank.

Jpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
is there anything I can do to protect them from the fish, and help the coral heal? I did catch th tang pick at the edge of one of them.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: