Reefcake

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SPS dominated tank. Yesterday I fragged a GSP and toadstool leather inside the tank just prior to a 20% water change at about 1pm. Last night, all looked fine. This morning, all my caps were severely bleached, almost as though having a white haze over them.

Might the fragging of either the GSP or toadstool released noxious toxins? If so, what course of action should I take now?

SG 1.026
Nitrates 0 PPM
Cal 440
Temp 79

Thanks!

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Always frag in a separate container because when fragging corals can stress the coral and they can give off toxins in self defense. So yes this may have caused th bleaching. What are your water parameters? If the new water was different from the old water in salinity, temp, ph etc this could have also caused it.

Reefcake

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water change water matched in salinity and temperature. What other water parameters are you asking about? I don't typically measure ph.

What should I do now that this has happened? Wait it out to see if they improve in color? Remove them? Do another water change?

I couldn't frag them in a container because they are both encrusted on a large piece of supporting live rock.

Reefcake

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on params

Checked alk and ph any my water parameters are as follows:

Salinity 1.026
Nitrates 0 PPM
Calcium 440
Temp 79
Alk 2.2
pH 8.5

Any add'l advice would be much appreciated.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
The Alk is low and perhaps related to the Caps bleaching. It is also possible the leathers released toxins, I'd run some new carbon for sure.

On the other hand, if you haven't done a WC for along time and also changed the carbon at the same time, your Caps could be bleaching from light shock.

Reefcake

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Going forward, if I am able to increase the alk, will the caps recover? Or are they permanently damaged? Should I leave them in or remove them?

Reefcake

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it greatly...as I am about as stressed as they are at this point. Any advantage to doing a 20% water change right away?

PS. Just did an API Carbonate Hardness (KH) test; result 8 dKH.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: