Border09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey Guys, I bought a pulsing Xenia which died 3 days later (when I got back from DC). My GSP are also not coming out. I bought an alkaline test today (red sea, I hate it!). Any ideas?

The fish, crabs, button polyps and shrimp are great!

Tank:
34 Gallon Solana w/ protein skimmer and 2 power heads

Params are :
Salinity - 1.0235
Alkaline - 2.8-3.0, so it's a bit high
Calcium level - 420
pH -8.3
Phosphate - 0.5
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - either between 0-2
Temp - 80

--- Just did all the tests now

Operating for 2 months.

I normally do a 10% water change Friday/Saturday.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Were the xenia dead in the tank when you got back? When was that? Might want to increase the size of the Fri/Sat water change to Friday and a higher percentage to knock that ammonia reading down to zero :)

BZimon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Seems like ammonia...xenia can be sensative to water param changes. 2 months isn't too long to have a reef up and running. Run some carbon and a good 20% water change especially after you had a death.. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Border09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, I don't know why the ammonia is up to .25. Ammonia and nitrates were both 0 on the Friday i bought the Xenia. It was added Friday night, left for DC on Sat morning and got back late Sunday-- it was dead, left it a few days because I've heard it sometimes comes back from a nub, but then the head fell off...

Geezo!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Leaving it in there wasn't a good idea. That is where your ammonia came from. When stuff closes up you can leave it in the tank, when it melts and turns to mush, it isn't coming back :(
Do a big water change before it affects any of your other corals/fish. Do you have a reactor to run any carbon in? If not, at least put some in a media bag and get it into a high flow area asap.
..and please do keep us updated!

Border09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Okay, I'm not sure if there is a refractor, but I looked in the stand and there are 2 bags of charcoal- i'm not sure I thought I placed one in there when we set the tank up, but I just looked in the back and I didn't see any...hmm...

Border09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm gonna do a 20% water change tonight and i'll let you guys know what the readings are. I'm sad about the Xenia, it's really cool looking!

I also hope my GSPs start coming out again. They were look really nice, better than in the store!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: