reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Anyone know a good way to frag zoas so they dont come back in that area. everytime i frag them they grow back like mad from the left over pieces of flesh in the rocks. I trying to decrease the size of my zoa colony cause it takes up almost the entire tank. (90 gallon)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Any chance of swapping out the rock that have so many with someone who may want them?
or
after slicing them off, some folks have covered the rock with black plasitc until they die entirely off (not nice imo considering they are animals..)

Have a pic?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I had the same problem.:tub: Three little polyps got lost in my 155 and the next thing I knew they took over the right half of my tank.:irked:
I tried the scraping and they kept coming back.
So I bought some new rock and swapped out the rocks that they were on (50lbs.).
I just found a couple growing in the sand bed now. Becareful with the gifts.lol ;)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
You also have the option of trading them (if they are interested) with your LFS for another coral and let them worry about the fragging :)

If you do chose to frag them please remember to wear goggles and gloves and keep your mouth closed if not wearing a full face shield!

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
o i just saw u were asking for a pic before... umm leme see if i can go take one now... i dont have my good camera on me but ill try it with this cheapo camera but it wont be clear but u should get the point

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
ok lets see... first time loading pics on this site lets see if i did it right

Attachments

• P2220326.jpg
    P2220326.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 90
  • P2220327.jpg
    P2220327.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 93

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
ok it worked... well the first picture is almost a full tank shot. u can see the clusters of orange in the front that just started as individuals that floated around... one connected to a large little neck clam shell (one on the right) and the other to the front window :lol: (left)

then the second picture is a cluster that i kinda ripped out of the big bunch the other day although u can barely tell... i just lifted up one of the rocks and a whole bunch of polys were hanging off so i just tore them off and put them on the other side of the tank. but looking at the full tank shot... this came from pretty much right in the center and there is no gaping hole... just looks like a ridge like on potato chips... it dips in a little.

anyway... yeah this is my poly infested tank enjoy :)

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
here i drew a line over the slight ridge that appears so u know where to look. this is where that other big cluster(bout 150-200 polyps) came from.

Attachments

• P2220326 ridge.jpg
    P2220326 ridge.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 91

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
lol u wanna see how quick these things grew... go to this thread http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/staten-island/14473-staten-island-reefers-tank-pics.html

look at the pic of my tank in that thread and if u look u can see the tiny cluster of orange polys on the left side. Thats what it started as. I went to the LFS back then bought some pulsing xenia, yellow polyps, and ricordeas, and i saw in their tank there was like 2 orange polyps on the floor and i asked if he could throw those in for free and he was like sure. And now it takes up my whole tank.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
thats just one bubble tip u see in the front there... i got another 2 RBTAs off o the right side, u can see the tip of them in the full tank shot i got, but they arent near as big as the regular one

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: