krak256

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
For some reason some of my ORA Red Planet polyps are not extending all the way.

Here is a pic from a week or two after I first got it:
IMG_0222.jpg

Here it is now. The polyps that arent extending tend to be the ones under a shadow and not getting direct light. Is the top right circle just growth?
IMG_0245.jpg

All my other SPS seem fine! they have great polyp extension!
IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

What's the issue? too much flow? Not enough flow?

krak256

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
a little update:

After speaking to jackson6745, i decided to check for AEFW. Sure enough, i have them!

I dipped my red planet and other acro frags in tropic marin pro cure last night for 10-15 mins and then used a toothbrush to scrub the eggs off.

holy crap, my red planet is pissed off! its sliming and the tissue is browned out. am i not supposed to use a tooth brush?

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Browing out doesn;'t exactly mean its getting too much light. Alot of things make acro's brown out, but its mainly from stress.

The red planet and others like it aren;t on the AEFW menu last i checked. But when i last delt with AEFW they do like to drop eggs on other coral besides what they like to eat.

And yes, a toothbrush is like taking a metal wire brush to your skin for the acro. Im sure its pissed off an badly hurt. That mixed with the dip and beeing out of water while you were scrubbing. You want to toothbrush or scrape with a knife only the eggs. Give the rest of the acro a couple of good squirts with a turkey baster to blow off any flatworms on it (not in the tank if possible, the egg thing shouldn't either)

Im sure you started reading up, but there isn;t much to do besides daily turkey bastes on all the colonies and checking on eggs/dipping on your acro's to clear up AEFW.

Good luck. =(

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Tosiek, every Acro is on their menu, tables and millis are no exception.

Krak256, definitely leave the red planet alone for a while in lower light until it recovers. Revive is much better because your coral still looks normal after the dip. You won't lose color and stress them out as much.

Good Luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: