fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
I've been thinking about getting an anemone lately but I really don't have any idea how to take of it or how to feed it or anything. I have a false percula clown right now and I want to get another one to pair up with it, so what anemone can my clown host? How does a healthy anemone look? How and when do I feed it? I'm pretty sure i have strong enough lights. Its a 75 gal tank with 2x175w MH. thanks

NaClH2oTANK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, anemones in a reef tank are tricky.
they move around and can cause problems when they do.
A Cerianthas anemone will usually remain in one place. but you cant pair them with a clown. lol.
A carpet anemone or pacific anemone will work.
but an anemone and clowns should be kept in a seperate tank geared toward them. and the clowns should be bought at the same time usually. its tough to get clowns to get along. especially if ones been in the tank for awhile. theyre very territorial.
there are some other ornamental anemones that will work with the clowns. not atlantic ones normally, though.
the issue is more about how it would interfere with the reef.

good luck

hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have a rose bubble tip that my pair of false percs host in.. I had one clown at first and it took him 2 months to find it. I then added another small false perc and it took him a week to pair up and also host there.

They do tend to move around.. mine is in its 5th spot in 5 months about. It seems to found a place it likes since its always open now.

I find them very easy.. just feed it once a week since I don't want it to get massive.

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
There are no guarantees that clownfish will host an anemone in your aquarium, regardless of the type of anemone. As for lighting you should be okay to keep an anemone. We have kept a long tentacle anemone, which grew very large, very fast... we fed weekly. Silversides, krill, and other larger meaty foods. It ate some of our fish as well.

Currently we have a bubble tip anemone, which is small and stays in the rockwork. Hasn't split which I am thankful for. Though there are many that own them and they split often (which some say isn't a good thing). We also have a carpet anemone that is fairly large and "walked" yesterday for the first time-- though it didn't touch anything. We have since repositioned him and he is staying put. (for now). Carpet anemones are the most toxic to humans and can cause a severe reaction so care in handling should always be taken. Though caution should be taken when handling anything. Gloves, etc.

Some people have no luck keeping anemones and others keep them with success. All in all you have to know that they are risky to keep with other corals because they will kill them if they touch and they do have the tendency to eat fish at times. We lost several fish to our LTA. They also can grow extremely large quickly.

fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
Thanks for all of the help. I think I am going to get a Rose bubble tip anemone or maybe just a bubble tip anemone. When I first get it, would it be a good idea to move all of my corals on the sand bed or something so that it can move around the rocks and find a good spot without killing anything?

onegreenray

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
The fish and cleaner shrimp should be fine. i have a 20' rose in a 40 br tank with no problems with four wrasses and 2 cleaner shrimp.

I just say Sal (sjlesq99 on reef central) he just told me tonight he has two roses he wants to sell. They are clones from his original. He lives out in Huntington though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: