jschottenfeld

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have a patch of pink zoa that hyper extended their villi. In other words, they lost their ability to close up because their fingers opened up too far and then closed back down backwards.

Why would this happen and how can I correct. I tried to manually turn them back but that doesn't seem to be working.

My other zoas in the tank are fine.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Do you have a pic?

If they look like they are an open umbrella with the skirt pointing downwards and the mouth almost coming to a point on the top, they are getting too much light, move them lower in the tank.

jschottenfeld

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi Kathy, yes that's what they look like and I will give it a try moving them lower down. There are in a decent amount of light under my MH but they have been there for probably 6 mos. No picture but I will post one later.

I will be a first timer at the swap, judging by your proclaimed title it looks like you're someone I should be friends with ;)

Jan

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Oddly, most pink zoas do not like a great deal of light (nor do blue, red or purple ones) Green, orange and yellow tend to be able to deal with higher lighting better IMO.
If you haven't changed the biubs in 6 months time (which is fine...) the spectrum of light does tend to shift over that period and the zoas may no longer be happy with it. I have seen this happen as well.

lol..I try and be friendly with everyone, but please do stop by the raffle table at the swap and say hi, I enjoy meeting all of our newer members!! :)

rafal07013

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
24   2   0
too much light and skirts too long- is this correctable situation?

i have same problem where zoa skirts are much bigger that they should be and lost some nice coloration on them. also they seem to grow flat to me too much. i thought it may be due to strong flow, but thats not the case.

Do you have a pic?

If they look like they are an open umbrella with the skirt pointing downwards and the mouth almost coming to a point on the top, they are getting too much light, move them lower in the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: