DaddyReefer13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
HI All,
With the upcoming frag swap we are all amped to get some new additions to our reefs at home. I wanted to take a step back and get suggestions on coral dipping methods and products.

Many of us have read numerous horror stories of tanks crashing because of parasites on frags or flatworm explosion. As trust worthy as the members of MR are you just never know. This is the first time i will be doing this myself and wanted to get some input from other more experienced members on what they do and use.

Just to note I have used the Search feature in MR but the subject seems to be more of an afterthought in those threads.

mray

?
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
With Revive, you can easily triple the recommended dosage with no harmful effects. It is by far the best dip available. I would setup multiple containers with revive because revive only knocks off pests, it does not kill them, even at extremely high dosage. Let the frag sit in one container for about 5 minutes and then swirl it around well. Remove it from that container and place it into the second container with revive. Blow the frag with a turkey baster and make sure you do not see any specks in the second container. If you do I would recommend dipping it again in fresh container with revive. Make sure you label the containers so you can reuse the solutions for multiple frags.

mray

?
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
From experience, revive does indeed knock off red bugs. It depends on how much you use. Going by the label on the bottle, it is not strong enough to knock off all of the red bugs but if you triple the dosage or even quadruple it, you can strip the coral of all pests.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Guys/Gals, I understand the dipping process. My question is in regards to lps dipping. I use;

Reef Dip contains an elemental Iodine complex that protects slime coats while safely and gently cleaning corals. It is effective against bacteria, fungus, and protozoan infections with less risk of toxicity to corals. It may be used either as a preventative when there is no sign of disease, or to remedy diseased specimens. Safe for use with anemones, soft and stony corals and polyps. 250 ml makes 50 gallons

Here's the thing, I've use it on frogspawns and they don't seem to like it. I soaked them for the recommended time 5 to 10 min., so I soak for 7 min. Then rinse in 3 seperate containers before placing back in my reef.
What am I doing wrong? I did loose a frogspawn the next day, or perhaps it was dying when I purchased it.:(

fernandokng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Here's a question. Do you acclimate using tank water before you dip? Or you just go straight into the dipping, and then into the tank.

I really don't see the point of acclimation if you're just going to put them through hell anyway.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: