jasony816

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a 55 gallon tank and have 2 clown fish with a Aquactinics Tx5 fixture and I am thinking about adding corals but not sure what to start with any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Certainly start with some great fast growers like Zoanthids and Mushrooms! Its amazing to see how they can grow! By far my favorites!

Where in nyc are you? Tons of us around here and I am sure I can get you some stuff to start you off! I am learning how to frag so bear with me and I can try and get something for you

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
The easiest have been mentioned above. Some can be pests because they take over the tank but it does not happen to everyone so you will have to decide how much you really want it. The safest way is not to mix too many different kinds because they do fight each other by tentacles reaching out and touching and also chemical warfare which you can not see. Read up on them and then decide and go slowly like everything else in this hobby.

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
many of the soft corals will grow like mad in your system and will be difficult to get rid of when you want to get more advanced corals. It helps to read a lot and decide what you want your tank to look like eventually... As was already said, colt coral, kenya trees, anthelia and many mushrooms grow like crazy and can take over your system FAST. slower-growing softies are a good idea.

that said, I have mixed LOTS of different kinds of corals in the tank, and as long as you keep the more aggressive corals far from corals they would sting, and as long as you have good water parameters so that everything is healthy, proper filtration (skimming, carbon), the chemical warfare is not an issue. just my 2c

:)

best of luck!

jasony816

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I dont want any corals that will grow out of hand and takeover the tank at all. Is there a difference between starting with soft or hard corals first and can you mix them because I like to have some soft and hard corals to have a good mix in the tank eventually.

NYReefer

GOT FRAGS??
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I started off with easy corals such as zoas/palys and a toadstool and eventually got into sps and lps and have a good mix.. its important to have an idea of what you like and want in the tank and reasearch before u get started adding corals because like stated some will kill others...also is your lighting capable of providing for the corals that you want... some sps need real intense lighting.. that toadstool is the only "soft" coral i have and thats putting zoas/palys into a category of their own... best of luck however u decide to go..

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I started with Clove, xenia, colts. They are really boring a few months in and grow way to fast. I personally would not get any softies.

I agree with Cooper in getting Zoas/palys. then id personally stick with Palys, LPS, and SPS. I have a Nova Extreme Pro T5 48" fixture on my 90 and I have RBTA, SPS, Clam on the bottom. Everything is doing great.

Anything but PC light should be good for anything you want.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: