seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I read about drilling 1/4 inch holes in all of my live rock. In addition, I glue 1/4 inch RO DI tubing maybe about 1.5 inches long to all of my frags so that I can move my frags to any location.

I find that some corals are very picky where they like to be placed and having them easily moved in my tank from one location to another makes them happier.

However, this year I got a large clean up crew that included hermit crabs and emerald crabs and they more often than I like move my frags on me. Real pain.

My tip is this:

So what I started doing is just place a drop of glue on then end of the tubing that I mount in rock. Not a lot, just a little bit and it seems to keep the frags from not moving as easy as my hermits and emerald crab like.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
If you don't use a ton of glue, you'll find that you can move frags around pretty easily. I glue them to a small piece of rock and then glue the rock to the base rock where I want to place them. If you don't use a lot of glue on the second part, if you want to move it later you can just snap it off. Cyanoacrylate is pretty brittle when used lightly (especially if you are gluing to a wet surface).

Rating - 98.6%
73   1   0
if you don't use a ton of glue, you'll find that you can move frags around pretty easily. I glue them to a small piece of rock and then glue the rock to the base rock where i want to place them. If you don't use a lot of glue on the second part, if you want to move it later you can just snap it off. Cyanoacrylate is pretty brittle when used lightly (especially if you are gluing to a wet surface).

+1

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I will tell you. I have been living a pain with these crabs moving things for a long time. That tip on the glue has really paid off. What a pleasure. Wish I would have used it much sooner.

REEFGUY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i drilled all my rock and stick frag plugs right in the whole and can move anything around as needed its great,thanks

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Reefguy,

Excellent. One of my picky corals when I started was a Devil's hand. I had to move her all of the tank, until I knew where she liked to be. I could tell, by the way it would inflate and deflate, etc. After she got huge ( too big for tank ) she got a new home. I was given a frag from her. Of course, knowing where the mother came from, I placed her in the same place.

The baby started as a stub. She now has a hand and 4 fingers. Very cool.

Even more pickier for me, are the SPS. While you hear they like lot's of light, I find that they take a while to get used to my tank and like the upper third of the tank, rather than the top. I have MH / T5.

So it just helps moving these guys around, to see how much flow and light they like.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: