anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
I have noticed that my zoos are not opening as much and it looks like they are shedding their skin I have no clue as to what is going on, I have tested the water and have no levels and the wierd thing is I also had a star polyp and it looked like it was melting well in terms breaking off. I do not know what to do my shrooms look great and so does my colt and kenya tree.

SnakeEyes27

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Anthony,

Im new to this hobby but i know the other guys will want to see what your exact stats are (pH, temp, Spec Gravity, Alk, Nitrates & Phosphates & Ca) to diagnose.

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
the salt level is 1.025 the temp is 79 to 82 the ph is around 8.3 and no ammonia nitrites nitrates nothing, Idk if i bought a bad zoo conley and then they spread this stuff around the tank. I have no idea i have checked the water 3 times. I just up graded the light to compact floresents.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
A pic would be most helpful.

Is this only 1 colony you are having an issue with or more than that? Had they opened totally when you first got them?

You mention upgrading to CF lighting - what did you have prior to now and how long were the zoas under that lighting? Do you know what they were under prior to your getting them.

Last question...where are they placed in the tank?

Many questions to answer when the water quality appears not to be an issue :)

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
well the lights I had on the tank were t8 and now i am compact floresents but I have only ran them for the past 3 days but i noticed that a colenly of zoos were shrinking and fused shut in my tank so i took htem out then another zoo coleny melted away. I check the water do the water changes and have a ro unit. everything else in the tank is fine I do have stomella snails around but they leave them alone. I have 2 koralies and water movement is realy good i know my other corals are going to get used to this light change but it is a pain with these zoos. it is like the skin is comming off of them some of them remain closed and it seems to me they are molting or sommething the star pollypip i had is now gone broke off so.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
T8's would not provide the proper lighting - it is most likely a reaction to them. How long were they under the T8's?

Often you do not see the issue due to inferior lighting right away, at times it may take weeks before you see that the coral is going to die.
Unless they are flat out melting away totally - leave them where they are and see if they bounce back. (might take a long while)

What size is the tank and do you run any carbon? ..not that I am overly concerned about melting zoas fouling your water unless you have a huge amount of them or a really small tank (doubtful on both), but it never hurts! :)

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
they were under the lights for about 4 moths but it is like the skin is peeling off I am mean they are zoos yes but i do not know why the other corals are fine. I have a 42 high and yes i am using carbon chemi pure to be exact.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Does the room the tank is in have fluorescent lighting?
I know my zoas are open even after the tank lights go off since there is a fluorescent fixture right next to my tank (in the ceiling of course..lol). I even keep 'daylight' bulbs in it so at least it's in the correct spectrum.

That could account for them hanging in as long as they have, but T8's won't keep corals alive for long.
Maybe natural sunlight hitting the tank?

Any chance of a pic? :)

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
the picture will come this afternoon I am going to take some close ups, I did buy a dunkin over the weekend it looks to be doing very well no sun light hitting the tank and i have a blue moon led on the tank so.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
the "skin coming off of them" is just the mucus they secrete when stressed. you changed the light and they probably didnt like where they were. my guess is you had them high up in the tank and got bothered by the new lights. i woul also try to lower the temp to 75-79 keep it under 80 at all costs. and what are the calcium levels, test that.

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
this is what they look like

this is it

Attachments

• _6150263.jpg
    _6150263.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 104

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
I have now checked the zoos for anthing eating it and they all look fine, if you look at the first picture the zoo looks like ti has algie on it. I have no clue all the other coral is fine and the levels are all in check.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: