FocusReefing

Just a podcaster from Queens
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
So Im looking to start a frag tank. Alot of the frags ive purchased have been having a rough run, with being knocked over in my nano. But overall I just dont like the look of frags all over the tank. The thing is, I dont quite know the guidelines to starting a frag tank. I have a 10 gallon that Im gonna use. The few questions I have are:

Do you need a sump? If theres no bioload, would flow be the only hurdle to jump?
Is it ok to keep mixed frag types, i.e. sps,lps, & other soft corals all in the same frag tank?

Any advice on the topic is appreciated. Thanks all,
JV.

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I actually set one up not that long ago. It would be better to have it run connected with your exsiting system then alone IMO it saved time till I can setup a larger frag tank. Get some eggcrates and some PVC and good flow since the SPS will do better and you are good to go
here is a photo of a 10g frag tank.
DSC00125.jpg

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldn't even bother with a skimmer on a 10 gallon tank with no fish. heat, circulation, and light are all you are going to need.

Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You will still need some biological filtration. Corals do produce waste after all. So if you don't have a sump or it's not connected to the main system you will need some LR along the bottom or somewhere. Not nearly as much LR as you would need in a display system since there are no fish maybe 5lbs or so.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: