Are we getting too crazy with designer names for corals?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
There is absolutely no doubt that the hobby has become very focused on "designer" names and "hot" corals. Anyone who has been in the hobby longer than even 5 years will know that this isn't the way it has always been. On occasion corals from rarely collected locales or species that are rarely seen become available and command higher prices. Beyond that the "rare" and "named" stuff is all marketing. Some of it is useful for lineage sake, most is just fabricated. Is this good or bad? It depends on what you are in the hobby for. It is good if you view your corals as commodities to be collected and traded according to monetary value. It is bad if you just want to keep some nice corals. Personally, I think the hobby would be a lot better off if people ---particularly new hobbyists --- just bought corals they liked and didn't worry about names or trends.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I personally don't care what they call it if i like the corals or whatever and i think the prices are reasonable i'll buy it but i do think the names are just a sale pitch.

ocholoco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
hey

Yes!!!! its getting a lil bit too anoying, Thats why I decided to name everything my own name for example ochos frogspawn, ochos red zoas and so on.. Does anyone want to buy the super rare ochos anthelia it grows quick . lol...

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I believe half the hobby is based on science not a card collection, so we should be using scientific names i.e. phylum and species. Not things like Pink Lemonade or Incredible Hulk. Orchid collectors do the same thing and same dispute is going on in that community as well.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Absolutely out of control. I personally couldn't tell the difference between a superman and a pokerstar or a superwoman or an incredible hulk, etc.

I also know some people are into the lineage. I'm not into that either. So as far as I'm concerned you can call it a pretty blueish chalice with green mouths. And the names for some of these corals are hysterical. Reverse Gorilla Nipples?? Come on. I just find it amusing.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
these are completely different from Inverted Gorilla Nipples..........RIGHT?

Got me :duh:

The only thing I know about Gorilla Nipples are these:

Attachments

• Gorilla Nipples.jpg
    Gorilla Nipples.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 132

lazibonez

Senior Newbie
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
There is absolutely no doubt that the hobby has become very focused on "designer" names and "hot" corals. Anyone who has been in the hobby longer than even 5 years will know that this isn't the way it has always been. On occasion corals from rarely collected locales or species that are rarely seen become available and command higher prices. Beyond that the "rare" and "named" stuff is all marketing. Some of it is useful for lineage sake, most is just fabricated. Is this good or bad? It depends on what you are in the hobby for. It is good if you view your corals as commodities to be collected and traded according to monetary value. It is bad if you just want to keep some nice corals. Personally, I think the hobby would be a lot better off if people ---particularly new hobbyists --- just bought corals they liked and didn't worry about names or trends.

I concur.

I dont think designer coral name is such a bad thing, how else can we refer to a specific morph of coral. We can go by scientific name or common name but that only tell u so much on description. Most Designer coral also hold its value due to rarity. It separate collectors item from the regular LFS wholesaler wild corals. As far as linkage goes, I think skeptical buyers want to know where the coral orginally came from, because sometimes theres really no way of telling by look and knowing its from a reputable source helps them determine whether they are get ripped off or not. But I think that is alittle too much.. I dont think assigning a name to a coral that doesnt already have a name is a big deal, but misnaming coral that already has a widely accepted name could raise confusion and is misleading. JMO.

seascape

Acan Crazy
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
if i like it and can afford it ill buy it dont give a dmn what the names are heck half the time i cant remember and the last i knew you sure couldnt engrave the names in the corals (oh no ill bet someone will try that next).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: