NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
blue xenia ok i know i shouldn't be killing it, but it is taking over rock.:irked: held small piece for someone and i cant get it to die off or come off. even got a pymiad butterfly that is only interested in frozen and pellets, lfs had for few weeks and eating :inlove: glad i guess it is or all prepared foods. i am doing a upgrade in a month or so, and do not want it going into new tank, not gonna sell rock either cause it has all my sps and zoa's ect on them, thought of taking out of water and spot kalking it and rinse with tank water, only thing sucks is this is what my clowns host

Attachments

• new tank 025.jpg
    new tank 025.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,168

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
First, clip off as much as you can and donate it to fellow reefers!

Then treat it like aiptasia. Hit it with an injection of Hydrochloric Acid no ore than 1cc at a time. Then hit it up with some kalk paste on the base. Lastly do some scrubbing and suctioning (into a waste bucket) with a hard bristle brush. I like Hard bristle tooth brushes.

thesauce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I feel your pain. Same situation here. My clowns have developed telltale spots due to xenia and gsp hosting. At least its a good nutrient export.

knockout

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
pluck it with tweezers, if you grab it tight and near its base it will just come off the rock, it will leave some flesh behind which will sprout again but if you are persistent you can clear it, I personally like xenia and this is the method I use to keep it under control.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
This is preventative, will not kill the xenia for you, sorry
try putting a very powerful coral next to it...maybe a torch or something...also, if you give it very high flow or very very low flow, it will drastically slow the growth process...with to little water movement xenia cant spread, and with to high movement it cant spread either...well, atleast it cant spread quickly...this has worked for me, when I turn the PH's onto a lower setting, the xenia spread like crazy.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
blue xenia ok i know i shouldn't be killing it, but it is taking over rock.:irked: held small piece for someone and i cant get it to die off or come off. even got a pymiad butterfly that is only interested in frozen and pellets, lfs had for few weeks and eating :inlove: glad i guess it is or all prepared foods. i am doing a upgrade in a month or so, and do not want it going into new tank, not gonna sell rock either cause it has all my sps and zoa's ect on them, thought of taking out of water and spot kalking it and rinse with tank water, only thing sucks is this is what my clowns host

If it's on a relatively smooth rock you can scrape it off with a scalpel blade. Basically, you take off the top layer of rock/coralline that the Xenia has attached to -- it's a lot easier than it sounds.

If you do this, then you can just toss what you pull off in a basket in your sump with some rubble, and in a week you'll have a bunch of moderately valuable ready-made frags. If you encourage the Xenia to grow in the basket/sump itself, then you've got a ready source of frags/income/trade-in credit -- just dump in rubble, remove when colonized -- and a decent phosphorous sink. ;)

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
This is preventative, will not kill the xenia for you, sorry
try putting a very powerful coral next to it...maybe a torch or something...also, if you give it very high flow or very very low flow, it will drastically slow the growth process...with to little water movement xenia cant spread, and with to high movement it cant spread either...well, atleast it cant spread quickly...this has worked for me, when I turn the PH's onto a lower setting, the xenia spread like crazy.

This is the easiest way to control Xenia -- by surrounding it with sand or things that'll sting the living crap out of it if it encroaches. ;) Controlling water movement can do this too, once you observe the way that Xenia tends to spread.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
My question is how do you keep xenias alive for a long time?

I'm not sure; they're weedy in my tank. I think they might just do better in 'dirtier' tanks; overskimming might be a problem? I'm not sure, but that's all I can put together from what I've read. (I'm running unskimmed at the moment.) Too much light may also be a problem, but I don't know, they seem to do OK over a pretty wide range.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
dirty tank isnt what keeps them alive either, i ran a uln system, over skimmed ect and they wouldnt die off till i crashed the tank

lol. Then I don't know. :) My tank's got high nitrates, cyanobacteria, and usually swings about .4 pH between lights off and lights on. (Usually from about 8.4 to 8.0 or even 7.9.) I use Reef Crystals and supplement Ca and Alk with Kalk. Temp's set at 79 but runs from 80-84 (at some points reaching 86 during that hot weather we had.) I try for a weekly 5 gallon water change, but usually it's more like 1.5-2 weeks. I've got my Xenia near the bottom of the tank (lighting is 4xT5HO w/ individual reflectors) in a relatively low-flow spot.

I run carbon passively, in pantyhose sacks in a high-flow area of my sump.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: