PurpleTang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Hey, whats the best way to kill zoas in side of the tank? i have a lot of zoas that i want to kill but i am not sure what the best way to do so would be. could i just take a razor blade and cut them from the base? or would the zoas let out harmful stuff in my water?

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could use kalkwasser paste, just like you are killing aptasia. put it directly on the coral you need erradicated, with the flow turned off so the mixture won't blow around on the corals you actually do like.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
so when i cut them from the base in the water, they dont let out any thing that could harm my other corals?

It'd be a good idea to run carbon and wear shoulder-length gloves, or, better, take the rock out and do the fragging in a bowl. Zoas can contain large amounts of palytoxins, which can kill you if you get enough of them in an open wound or something. (As far as I know, there haven't been any reefing-related deaths related to them.)

For getting soft corals off rock, I recommend a curved scalpel blade. This makes it really easy to get them off rock -- you actually slice a shallow sliver of the rock off, instead of the flesh, and this also makes them easier to glue down to frag plugs or whatever. (Just use cyanoacrylate gel. Or rubber-band them down until they stick.)

BFITZ06

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
hey purple ill take them from you i have a grady clown crab in my qt that would love them, if you cant frag them you can have the crab. just put them in your sump so he stays away from you other zoas

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
surgical scissors, coral cutters, kalk, razor blade all equal basically the same effect. think about it this way, the brown zoas make the rare ones look better.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: