Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I bought a purple plume gorgonia last week. I thought that gorgonias extended polyps thats look like white or lavendar flowers on its branches? So far it has just gotten little purple bumps all over it i the begining, no the bumps are whitish in color.

Is it still getting used to my tank? Or is this all that it will do?

DSC04396.jpg

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
Guys those are deep water peices and dont need much light , The more light they get the worst it is, eventually will start to grow algea on its branches and dye. Also get some Ultra Clam PARTICLE FOOD , they need to eat 2x a day

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Dom, what type of lighting does the gorgi require?

They'll adapt to any reasonable light. They are photosynthetic and do not need to be fed. In fact they are one of the hardiest gorgs I've kept. They even survived cyano outbreaks!

The polyps will not stay white though. They will turn brown. Check out ellebelle's tank thread. She has a monster one that she has had for years.

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Before I got it I researched it and this is one of the hardiest ones like Domboski says.
I dont have bright lights so I made sure it didnt need that. ALso I feed RotiFeast to the tank every day, doesnt it get its nutrition from that? Is that enough or should I look for this Ultra Clam food Salty Dog?

I dont mind if the polyps dont stay white. I just want them to extend fully, the picture above is as much as I have seen them extended. It should be more than that right? I can be patient and wait some more. It seems to slowly be adapting.

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
They'll adapt to any reasonable light. They are photosynthetic and do not need to be fed. In fact they are one of the hardiest gorgs I've kept. They even survived cyano outbreaks!

The polyps will not stay white though. They will turn brown. Check out ellebelle's tank thread. She has a monster one that she has had for years.

Yeah, I know about the polyps turning brown.:tongue1: I didn't know that though so I've been thinking they weren't happy in my tank.lol

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Yes, Marcella it takes them quite a bit of time to adjust. Mine even went through another adjustment period just because we re-aquascaped.:tongue1:
BTW, Domboski is the resident king of the gorgs on this site.;)

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I feed once a day. I vary what I feed them(fish) every day (frozen mysid, enriched brine, artemia, bloodworms, cyclops, omega flakes - the only thing my YCG eats, formula1 and formula 2 pellets and arcti pods. I will give a mix of 2 of the items listed above enriched with selcon and garlic oil. The exception is the flakes I will take a tiny pinch and make it float right down onto the YCG. The Roti Feast I will sometimes go a day without putting it in the tank.

Here is my YCG he has just claimed the gorgonia.

DSC04540.jpg

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Last night I turned the lights one for a few seconds and I caught my gorgonia with slight 'feathery' white polyps!

Yaaay! Its coming around! I knew it must just be shy. This morning it was comletely smooth. Havent seen it this smooth since the day I got it.

I was too tired to find my camera to take a photo but tonight I will have it handy just in case I cant sleep again.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: