Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I bought the B-Ionic 2 part to add to my reef tank bc my calcium is constantly low. (340-360) And I JUSt did a water change less than 24 hours ago.

I have corals, mostly softies and suncoral, duncans, frogspawns, acans and a monti frag.

The first part of the B-Ionic is to raise the Alk. I tested my Alk and its 11dKH.

Do I HAVE to put a dose from that first bottle first in order to make the second bottle (calcium) active? I dont know if I should be raising the alk more than it is? Can I/should I skip the first bottle?

Never added anything to my tank other than saltwater so I just want to make sure with some of you that use this stuff already.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
If you just tested your Alk after the water change did you test your calcium too? If so, and the Ca is still low, no you don't have to add the alk (part1) just add the Ca (part 2) and monitor levels daily. As the Ca. raises you will see the Alk go down. when they reach your desired levels, begin dosing both parts. You'll still need to test for both regularly until you figure out what your system needs.

Avi

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I agree. But, if you need something more because you still don't feel fully comfortable with the dosing, you can get a handle easily with this gadget.

Just type in the amount of water in your system at the top....test your water for the calcium level and alkalinity level...and then type them in, click Pick a Product and choose the relevant Part A or Part B and it'll tell you how much of it to add to your system to arrive at the goal numbers you choose.

http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thanks prattreef and rookie for backing him up :)

I tested today and the Calcium was 340 which is low. The Alk is fine at 11dKH right?

I wasnt sure if these 2 bottles have to be used in conjunction with the other.

My test kits are always out, My dining room table looks like a chem lab. LOL

Thanks again.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I agree. But, if you need something more because you still don't feel fully comfortable with the dosing, you can get a handle easily with this gadget.

Just type in the amount of water in your system at the top....test your water for the calcium level and alkalinity level...and then type them in, click Pick a Product and choose the relevant Part A or Part B and it'll tell you how much of it to add to your system to arrive at the goal numbers you choose.

This is a great tool and I had no idea it existed.. So thank you

Avi

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've been using it for a long time because the math side of my brain doesn't work. It hasn't since the 8th-grade regents exam. I've found that it's very reliable so I'm not at all stressed by dosing.

stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

Great tool Avi! I bookmarked it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: