Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello, guys! I have Acropora loosing it's tissue from the bottom. Need your advice if it's possible to save the rest of it's branches by cutting them off. I'm not even asking why all of my Acros ended up the same way. None of my SPS ever survived :irked:

Attachments

• Acro3.jpg
    Acro3.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 398

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Check all your parameters with good test kits like Salifert.

To answer your question: You can try fragging it 1/2" above the necrosis, and glue it on to rubble or plugs. But if your parameters are off you will continue to loose sps.

Please tell us more about your system!!!!!!!
Size of system
Type of filtration
Water movement
Protein Skimmer
Lighting
Parameters for
PH
Temp
Salinity
Nitrites
Nitrates
Ammonia
Calcium
Alkalinity
Magnesium
Plus anything else that you can think of.;)

Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just tested Alk, it's normal. Usually I just bring a water sample to LFS, everything is fine, was there just couple days ago. I have 72 G tank, 2x150W/20K MH lights (5 hours a day), 24G sump with protein skimmer, also I use canister filter with different media to remove phosphates (clean every week), 20% water changes with RO/DI water using Instant Ocean salt mix every two weeks, adding "PurpleUp" and Kent Marine "Essential Elements", temperature 82. For two years I couldn't keep any SPS for longer then 2 months.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 304
  • skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 381

Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It couldn't be Galaxia, I just moved Acropora to this spot, thought it would have more light, just didn't know what to do. I don't think the problem is because corals are to close, I've had different SPS in defferent spots and they all got lost their tissue and died.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hon, lots of people say my numbers are normal. Honestly this is not what we want to read when you ask us for help, and we are trying to help........
Unless you go to an excellent LFS who's employees truly care I would not trust them. Most if not all lfs are there to sell you stuff.;)
Get some test kits of your own, and test your own water.

I wouldn't be dosing that stuff.JMO

Obviously something is wrong when you keep loosing sps.;(

By the way, you have a very pretty tank....

Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hon, lots of people say my numbers are normal. Honestly this is not what we want to read when you ask us for help, and we are trying to help........
Unless you go to an excellent LFS who's employees truly care I would not trust them. Most if not all lfs are there to sell you stuff.;)
Get some test kits of your own, and test your own water.

I wouldn't be dosing that stuff.JMO

Obviously something is wrong when you keep loosing sps.;(

By the way, you have a very pretty tank....

Thanks. I have Marine Lab test kit, will test the water today and post the numbers, last time everything was "ok" though. I won't use "Essential Elements" anymore, but should I useKalkwasser instead of PurpleUp?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Are you just trying to build coraline faster then nature? Not a question for me to answer as I allow the coralline to grow on it's own how ever long it takes.;)
From what I understand dosing 2 part daily will also cause the coralline to grow faster.;-)

You should really get salifert test kits for your trates, cal, alk, and mag.

Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Are you just trying to build coraline faster then nature? Not a question for me to answer as I allow the coralline to grow on it's own how ever long it takes.;)
From what I understand dosing 2 part daily will also cause the coralline to grow faster.;-)

You should really get salifert test kits for your trates, cal, alk, and mag.

I came to LFS to ask if I need any food for my corals, I was told that I will need calcium and PurpleUp is the good source of calcium.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
tissue loss from the bottom means not enough flow, and it looks browned out and that usualy means not enough flow and not enough light. could alse be galaxia, but there is a reason why you said that your sps never do good. High nitrates and phosphates can usualy also cause tissue loss along with the above listed problems. Move it up as high as you can and direct both of those hydor's on it at.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
o and dont go overboard with the purple up. Use it exactly to the dosage and be carefull when you run out. I have heard horror stories, of that stuff. People thought it would make the coral line grow faster which it did, but when they ran out it crashed. Its like a drug (steroids for algea) and like people when they stoped it crashed like people. I did not believe it at first, then i looked more into it and it was true. I found a pic of a tank and it looked like it was full of milk. so be carefull

Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Nitrates 100 ppm

Well, I've just tested water for nitrates and it showes maximum - around 100-150 ppm (checked twice). I guess that's the answer. I have no idea why, just changed 20% of water yesterday, tried not to feed the fish too much. May be it's to many additives I add, I also add Marine Snow food every day.
Please, help, tell me what should I do now. :headache:

mheaven

Master Member...
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
Feeding Marine snow every day, I’m going to say that’s a no no in my book. I have a fully stocked sps tank and I only feed cyclops ez 4 times a week. Also water flow, lighting, nitrates, phosphates will do it to your corals. How old are your MH bulbs?
As for additives I see no need for the purple up. If you’re changing water every week you should be ok, when you have a well stocked sps tank that’s a diff. story.
Don’t take everything your local fish stores tell you, there in it for the money. Just ask around your local member, better info in my opinion.

Good luck, Danny.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: