Fitch4

Teacher
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jon from the E.O. Smith Coral Project here up in Storrs CT (and from CTARS)! As some of you know I have organized and run the Frag Farmer's Market up at the school I teach at in CT for the past few years and here is the information for the FFM for this coming spring. I thought I would send out the info early so people could save the date and arrange for carpools to come up! The market is not a "meeting" of any group per se, but rather a chance for reefers to get together and sell/buy aquacultured frags. My motivation for running it is two-fold. 1. All the "buy in" funds go directly to fund the 1200+ gallons of salt water I maintain at the school so kids can do work on coral aquaculture. You can check out our larval website at www.eocoralproect.org 2. I started the whole project at the school because I feel like it is our responsibility as reefers to make sure that the hobby becomes self sustaining. I feel that aquaculture is going to be key. The FFM offers a venue for people to stock their tanks with aquacultured corals and encourages hobbyists to frags thier stuff and make it available to other reefers. I digress...
FFM2010.jpg

Last year's FFM was AWESOME in terms of the corals that people brought and the number of people who came to look and buy. We had people from all over New England and NY come and this year already looks to be bigger. It is a great chance to make a few $ for your Reefing Habit (it is not a hobby...) or a chance to get some VERY nice home grown frags for very reasonable prices. We had everything from mushrooms and zoas to high end SPS and LPS.
If you would like to sign up to sell your stuff, let me know. I am doing the same deal as last time, $25 donation to the school project to set up a tank. I will provide counter space, a powerstrip and heated water if you need it. I also have a few tanks (10's, 15's and 20's) that people are welcome to use but it is first paid in get dibs on them. You can pay me at via Paypal at [email protected]. If you have questions about the FFM, or just want to chat, feel free to PM me here or as Fitch4 on reefcentral or post Q's here.
I have also decided to do a "special" to get a better grip on who will be setting up tanks. If you sign up and pay by the end of this month (December), I will throw in 20 free specimen cups for you to use that day. (I should also have more around if you need to get some.)
FYI-The school is about 1/2 hour east of hartford just a hop off I-84. It is a bit of a haul for you guys but it is a great chance to either sell some of your frags or buy some!
Thanks and happy farming!
Jon

Fitch4

Teacher
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Update!
It looks to be bigger than last year and I have a few significant additions to the seller side of things. Greg Hiller from Boston will be there with some of his homegrown stuff and two significant CTARS members Scott Cato and Rich Bovier will both be setting up tanks with their stuff (along with quite a few others!) If anyone from your area is interested in setting up a tank, let me know. We are filling up quick!
Jon

Fitch4

Teacher
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks! Believe it or not, I have an excuse... The "j" key on my laptop sticks sometimes and I often hit it but it doesn't register. Lame, I know, but that happens to me all the time.
I also just added Oceanus Inland Reefs with tank bred Bangaiis and Seahorses!

C

CrashGibson

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love that u are teaching the younger generation about corals and propagation!...a better Aquaria future n the making!

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Fitch4

Teacher
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Only a month away! Looking forward to meeting some of you guys when you come up for the market. It will definitely be bigger than last year with over 20 "farmers" already signed up and I always get a rush the last few weeks as people's calendars open up. Plenty of sweet deals on nice frags to be had, and a few other items as well (tank bred bangaiis, sea horses, etc...)
I have been sticking pictures of some of the stuff I will have at the meeting in the CT forum and I thought I would share here as well. Just to clarify, these are not for sale...yet!
Coral2-10026.jpg

Coral12-09012.jpg

Coral2-10021.jpg

Last edited:

Fitch4

Teacher
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Speaking from last year's FFM, the prices ranged from $5 and up but you most of the tanks are from individuals with way below store prices and even the stores that set up tanks sell below what you are used to seeing. You will see anything from the run of the mill brown mushrooms and palys to the one of a kind LE stuff, ex. Greg Hiller from Boston always brings in some crazy stuff that no one else seems to have. I promise you will find some frags that are to your liking and prices that you will like as well. Plus it is free to get in!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: