Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
How do I get rid of these?

A few years ago someone gave 3 heads of them. They started multiplying like you wouldn't believe. They threatened to take over my reef, so I removed the rocks they were on, and replaced the rocks with new ones.

A few months later I noticed 5 more coming up, so I took my IC gel, and covered them with it. This was about a year ago. A few days ago I noticed that they either pushed their way through the glue, or they grew more heads. Yesterday I found 2 more on an entirely new rock.:grumpy:

How do I get rid of them once, and for all?

Below is a pic of one of the rocks in my fowlr which I removed from my reef. BTW, in my reef they present in a greenish/blueish color. Very pretty, but I don't want them to end up covering my other corals. They did choke out a leather before.:irked:

Attachments

• fowlr & reef pics 005.jpg
    fowlr & reef pics 005.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 391

bruma bull

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
palys

I mixed kalkwasser with RO till it looked tooth paste, shut the water flow off and shoot it in the mouth, that worked for me, just be careful about placements of other corals

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys! Really appreciate them.:)

Not going to cook the rocks.

Mike, I'll try the scissor thing (but I'll use a razor instead).

Don't like messing with Kalk.:( Don't trust it. I think I'll try the white vinegar that I kill aiptasia with in the past, and see how that works.

Jadakiss, not an option!! Already lost a coral, and some zoas to them in the past.;(

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I also use a razor . I use it an underwater scraper. Good Luck.

Same here Reaper!;)

Here's what I did to most of them; I injected them with the white vinegar, and then I took my bone cutters, and clipped & pulled them out. Except for two of which I couldn't remove the rock as it is a structural rock. Those 2 I only injected. We'll see if they come back.:sgrin:

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I have them as well...I used cutting sheards, and "cut" them off the rock...they do not matt, they spread, so the polyps pop off fairly easily, I just pulled them off the rock with the shears, and they came right off...hope this helps alittle

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi Mike, I gave them each 50 units of vinegar, and then I scraped them off with the tip of my bone cutters. We shall see if that worked.:)
I also try to follow the rule of keeping anything that spreads on it's own, but unfortunately when I got these guys I had no idea that they would be such a pain.lol Actually, I had lost the frag of three in my tank, only to find them every where later on.:smash:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Along with every other zoo or paly in the tank. I would avoid the sundial

Imagine that!!!!LOL

Hope no one took that bit of advice from scorpionsys seriously! I think he was kidding.:) Hope so anyway.....LOL

Anyway, the few that were creeping about again in my reef got the old vinegar attack as well as the bone cutter tips to them.:wink1: Let's see if they make a come back from that.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: