Rating - 98.1%
155   3   0
hey i have a question my xenias melted am wondering what can be the problem nothing else melted i have kenya trees gsp 2 anenomies 2 frogspawns waving hands candycanes mushrooms ricordias about 3 diff kinds and about 6 diff kinds of zoas everything else is alright i have t5 55 gallon tank and do a 10 gallon water change once a week just have two clown fish and a yelow tang protien skimmer 2 power heads cannister filter with uv light that i clean out once a month about 6hr of light a day i dont know whats wrong but everytime i get xenias they melt everything else does good what could it be any suggestions

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
Was it on a rock if so leave that rock in your tank. I had that same thing happen dont know why but it melted. The next mounth I started to see new xenia growing on the rock that they melted on . It might happen to you just what and see . Now i have a large group of xenia know.
What your ph at ,whats the temp and salinty. Did you test to see whats wrong ?.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Belive it or not there are people who consider Xenias as a nusance.I'm not one of them, i'v struggled with Xenias from the start. I just recently hit the sweet spot although other members may have a different stategy or non at all.Xenias like bright light and high nutrience or regular feedings.Your skimmer and the weekly water changes are taking too much nutrience out.I lost a colony last week as well because i skipped two feeding sessions .

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
6 hour of light a day is not enough u need a little more like 8 to 12 hours and xenia is a weird coral at first they used die for me all the time now they grow like crazy for me ... hey u know what if want i can give some to replace the one u just lost all u would have to do is come pick it up lmk

Last edited:

ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I have some theorys on Xenia, but they are unfounded scientifically, just theorys. Truth is i reaserched Xenia quite a bit because I find them to be one of the coolest corals out there. But you have almost as many people that hate them as love them. Those that hate either cant keep them alive, have them growing too fast or just cant get them to pulse (which is the big reason people love em.)

Ive found that very little flow in my tanks make them pulse the most. The more flow they get, the less they pulse.. thats definetely a constant Ive noticed.

As far as not getting them to pulse. People have tried Iodine supplementation with limited success. Generally speaking I think they lack a certain mineral/element which is hard to accept because even the low cost salts contain pretty much all the necissary vits and mins. But i'f definetly try a large water change (with Ro water of course), with a high quality salt like TM Pro Reef. But i suppose if it was as obvious as that, it wouldnt even be questioned anymore.

But this is probabaly the most skeptical personal feeling on why I have such success with crazy pulsing Xenias. I have a suspect the Mircale Mud mix I use, especially the Walt Smith Fiji mud in my fuge adds some nutrients as well as naturally occuring elements that gets released steadily as critters move across it. I noticed they seem to pulse out of control when I add in a fresh boost. My corals also seem to open up more when it is stirred into the water column. Its odd to see the temporary cloudiness of the water while corals open noticeably wider.

I dunno, its just a theory but I have yet to find someone who uses miracle muds in their systems and be unable to keep xenias and keep the pulsing.

If anyone can personally contradict this theory Id especially like to hear about it. Better yet, if someone CANT keep Xenia, or can keep it but it never pulses, Id actually like to send you some of my mud to see how it responds. Id really like to confirm or discard this theory on Xenia.

-Jay

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Some of my observations on xenia.

I have seen it thrive in zeofit systems that are extremely low nutrient systems.
Some people never have luck with it some do.
I have two kinds of xenia that I got as frags. Now they are thriving in my high nutrient system. I have yet to upgrade my skimmer, I have an AquaC Urchin on my 75. Seems like very little but my gbta is also doing really well.
I am setting up an EV 120 right now so we will see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I have some theorys on Xenia, but they are unfounded scientifically, just theorys. Truth is i reaserched Xenia quite a bit because I find them to be one of the coolest corals out there. But you have almost as many people that hate them as love them. Those that hate either cant keep them alive, have them growing too fast or just cant get them to pulse (which is the big reason people love em.)

Ive found that very little flow in my tanks make them pulse the most. The more flow they get, the less they pulse.. thats definetely a constant Ive noticed.

As far as not getting them to pulse. People have tried Iodine supplementation with limited success. Generally speaking I think they lack a certain mineral/element which is hard to accept because even the low cost salts contain pretty much all the necissary vits and mins. But i'f definetly try a large water change (with Ro water of course), with a high quality salt like TM Pro Reef. But i suppose if it was as obvious as that, it wouldnt even be questioned anymore.

But this is probabaly the most skeptical personal feeling on why I have such success with crazy pulsing Xenias. I have a suspect the Mircale Mud mix I use, especially the Walt Smith Fiji mud in my fuge adds some nutrients as well as naturally occuring elements that gets released steadily as critters move across it. I noticed they seem to pulse out of control when I add in a fresh boost. My corals also seem to open up more when it is stirred into the water column. Its odd to see the temporary cloudiness of the water while corals open noticeably wider.

I dunno, its just a theory but I have yet to find someone who uses miracle muds in their systems and be unable to keep xenias and keep the pulsing.

If anyone can personally contradict this theory Id especially like to hear about it. Better yet, if someone CANT keep Xenia, or can keep it but it never pulses, Id actually like to send you some of my mud to see how it responds. Id really like to confirm or discard this theory on Xenia.

-Jay

PM sent!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: