richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I recently got a green mushroom, pumping xenia, and toadstool. They were all cut freshly from the tank when I got there, so they weren't on plugs.

At first, I tried to IC gel glue them onto pieces of small rocks but they somehow came off the rocks. And now, I rubber banded all of them onto rubble pieces. The xenia got cut in half by the rubber band and the mushroom is losing its place on the rubble. How do I get these pieces mounted asap? I feel like they are dieing.

thanks

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Those are coral that can't be glue'd to plugs. They slime too much and the IC Gel won't hold.

Just get a small Rubbermaid container, fill the bottom with small pieces of LR rubble. Maybe even drill tiny holes in the side to allow some flow in it. Place your coral frags into the Rubbermaid and put it in a low flow area. Within a week everything should attach to a piece of rubble. It's really simple.

HTH,
Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Alrighty then I'll try that thanks. They will attach by themselves even if their bases aren't touching the rocks? Because the pieces are flat-based so they cant stand on rocks.

Yep, they'll attach on their own. You can lay them on their sides, upside down, whatever way you want. They will orient themselves properly and mount themselves before you know it. I've seen frags attach in as little as two days.

swimmer

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I don't have rubble... Actually I don't even know what is considered to be rubble lol. I have a bunch of smaller pieces of live rock in my refuge. Should I just smash them with a hammer and put it in? is that considered rubble? haha

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
so they attach to the small pieces of rock the size of dimes. and then I just transfer whichever rocks they attached to into my tank. They will be attached to multiple pieces of rubble I assume

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
so they attach to the small pieces of rock the size of dimes. and then I just transfer whichever rocks they attached to into my tank. They will be attached to multiple pieces of rubble I assume

Correct on all counts. Sometimes they attach to one piece of rubble, sometimes a few. Whichever way they attach, just relocate them into your tank.

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
okay the deed is done. smashed a bunch of rocks with hammer, put into a plastic container, stabbed a few holes in it and dumped in the corals. How long usually does it take for them to attach?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Those are coral that can't be glue'd to plugs. They slime too much and the IC Gel won't hold.

Just get a small Rubbermaid container, fill the bottom with small pieces of LR rubble. Maybe even drill tiny holes in the side to allow some flow in it. Place your coral frags into the Rubbermaid and put it in a low flow area. Within a week everything should attach to a piece of rubble. It's really simple.

HTH,
Russ

masterswimmer said:
Yep, they'll attach on their own. You can lay them on their sides, upside down, whatever way you want. They will orient themselves properly and mount themselves before you know it. I've seen frags attach in as little as two days.

swimmer

Hope this helps,
Russ

Chongpark27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
120   0   0

HTH,
Russ

Just what russ said.

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I can't believe it. Everything died except for the mushroom. I took the container out after three days to check up on it. I opened it up and all I see are floating particles and it smells terrible. I had to wash it a couple of times and then even when I put the container back into my tank it released a crapload of gunk. What did I do wrong here.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I can't believe it. Everything died except for the mushroom. I took the container out after three days to check up on it. I opened it up and all I see are floating particles and it smells terrible. I had to wash it a couple of times and then even when I put the container back into my tank it released a crapload of gunk. What did I do wrong here.

There should not have been a cover on the container.
Lack of water flow tends to kill corals :(

In a low flow area you should just be able to leave the corals resting on bits of rock rubble to attach..in the container. The container is so they don't blow around in the tank..

Sorry about that, we'll be sure to let anyone else know they shouldn't cover it if this question comes up again.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
What are your water parameters like?

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
yeah.. when I was told to drill holes into it, I thought that was supposed to be for ventilation. man.. I lost some good stuff. I was doubting myself too, whether or not the lid is supposed to be on. Shoulda asked.

deo glass

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
for my softie frags i use a piece of a pantyhoe/wedding vail material and put a little sand a rubble rock for them to foot too...use a piece of fishing line to tie it into a little sachel..

they usually find thier way onto a piece in about 3-5 days in my experiance...

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: