• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

C

Chiefmcfuz

Ok I have seen the mods for the Aquaclear filters Gonna try to mod a penguin lookind for suggestions.

I was going to make a 6"x3" cut in the right side lid of the filter and fill that side with some macro algae and the left side with some LR rubble. Placing a light on the Macro side.

I was looking for a small enough light but can't seem to find one. I think FAMA had an article about this a few months ago but I can't find the magazine to ref. it.

All I need to do now is find a light big enough and a second cover for the filter in case I screw up. And a dremmell tool but I think I could borrow one from my friend.

Was also thinking about a little sand in there but not too sure if that's a good idea.

Could probably use a good link here deanos if you can :google: didn't really help neither did yahoo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
DIY Refugium

An excerpt:

"The large power filters from Marineland (Penguin and Emperor models) and Tetra (Whisper units) can be used, but because they mount the pump in the middle with the filter media areas to each side, lighting can be a little complicated. You don’t want to illuminate the impellor assembly and encourage algae growth there since it would be difficult to clean without taking the entire thing apart and seriously disturbing the refugium substrate."

C

Chiefmcfuz

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Ok I finished the mod'ing of my Penguin 330 filter to a Penguin 330 HOB Fuge. Here are some pics. I had the P330 forever so no cost there. Cutting the top I used a hole saw for my drill to get started then a warmed up knife to score cut and final cut the top. The left side has Macro in it being held by a wide grid. Basically a filter cartridge without the foam or the carbon. The right side is open for now, No media and no anything. Still deciding on if I want to cut the right side and put live sand or rock inside it. I may just drill a 3 inch hole in it and leave it like that.

OK Now the pics.

DSCN2585.JPG

Left side with the hole cut.

DSCN2583.JPG

Final product assembled

I know the pics are dark but even with the lights on and the flash going that's the best it would do.

C

Chiefmcfuz

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Here was yesterdays attempt with a Kritter keeper light. I so did not like this because of the fact theat the light was so far down in the unit that it would get wet so since I had macro already in there and didn't want to lose it I stopped cutting and placed the light on top. I returned the light today and got the Perfecto unit in the above post.
DSCN2582.JPG

DSCN2581.JPG

C

Chiefmcfuz

Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Ok I will keep an Eye on the macro. You think I should drill the other side and put some sand and rock in there?

C

Chiefmcfuz

Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I noticed that the calurpa was acting kind of like a poly pad so I took some more out and put it in the display for my YT to eat. I think tomorrow I am going to put a little sand in the bottom of the right side and a piece of rock and drill a 3 inch hole over that side.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: