• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

coralcrazy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
97   1   0
Masta..if you look closely..it has tempered glass after the bulb..then plastic shield..after that..the fans inside suck up all the heat..so there is no heat from the light...i put the same fans that they did in a 6 gallon nano cube..they put those on a 12..

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
Jon, it sounds like you've got it worked out. Please be careful. Your safety and those around you are the first and foremost concern here. The last thing any of us want to hear about is an accident.

Good luck,
master

jrodjordan

Elway for President!
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
CC

post your "accomplishment" on reefcentral.com...
you will get good advise about the safety of your light.

If everybody on reefcentral ALSO tells you that your light is unsafe... I'd listen.

Otherwise, if it works... sweet!

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Didn't mean to sound rude Jon....

It's just that, I wouldn't be able to sleep peacefully or be able to leave the house, as plastic & halides don't mix.
Granted a 70 watter might not generate that much heat.
I would replace that small tempered glass with one that covers the entire hood.
I would also put something behind the reflector that woudn't melt as easy.....in case your fans ever fail.

coralcrazy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
97   1   0
i am going to redo the hood cover...putting a small hole in the cover..then using another piece of tempered glass to fill that hole to prevent it from falling int..

coralcrazy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
97   1   0
Well guys...so far so good..no melting in any points..the jb weld is doing its job...everthing is going good..the light has been on for 12 hours for 4 days...with no problems..

jrodjordan

Elway for President!
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
MH Nano

Deanos said:
Coralcrazy sold his tank and all its contents.

of course!!
let someone else burn their house down.:headache:

that hood seems like something I'd want to test (on just not make in the 1st place) for a while before selling it to anybody.

Who ever bought it, be carefull!!!:skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:

coralcrazy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
97   1   0
LOL wow..this thread was still going..yea..the hood was doing fine...but i wouldn't recommend it for people who have time away from the tank...just get the viper....make your life easier..gives you piece of mind...i sold the hood..to a person without the MH..i sold the MH retro to someone else...if you have money to spare just get a viper..it was a temp solution anyway..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: