• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I'm going to be placing my chiller in the fireplace this weekend.
I'm taking house's advice from when I first got the chiller

I have ordered a sequence snapper pump from tony at reef exotics, it's a new model pump and is being drop shipped from the company.

My question is how to figure out how much flow will be going to the chiller.
The chiller can handle around 1,500gph through it.
the pumps output is 2400 at 0 ft. and has an 11' max head height, it uses 98 watts which is why I got it. that's 40 watts less than the QO6000 I'm using now plus it gives another 900gph, pretty impressive.

there is a 2" intake and 1.5" output. I'll be plumbing the pump over the side of the sump, with a tee that has a plug in it to prime the pump with.

what I was planning: coming off the output will be a tee, one side going to the chiller, one side going up to the tank. the chiller side will run through 1.5" spaflex, the combined run is about 16', there will be a couple of unions, a ball valve, and 3 90 degree elbows to get it back to the tank.
once back at the tank I was going to close the pipe down to 1" pvc.

my big question is determining the flow rate going through the chiller, there will be a ball valve between the chiller and pump, and also a ball valve between the straight return and pump. Is there a flow meter that can be installed on the end of the return so you can tell what's going on? or do you think just cutting the flow in half to the chiller will provide the right amount of flow? It needs about 700gph minimum.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
JH,

I wouldn't worry too much (but not run it wide open) about how much is going through the chiller, I would start with less on the chiller and open the valve a little at a time. My understanding with chillers is that once you are over the recommended GPH, that it won't chill correctly, but shouldn't hurt the chiller.

Also, if the pump is pressure rated, unless your 12' is vertical, I wouldn't count it as 12'

JMO

House

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Well, I think the distance (lateral) adds to the overall of the flow restrictions of pumps if they are not pressure rated - also, if there is back pressure from the chiller, and the pump isn't pressure rated, it will seek the lesser path - as long as you have the other path available, there shouldn't be as much an issue with chiller.

House

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
lateral distance does factor in, but not as much as veritcal.
you can play around with the head loss calculator on RC and see
what a difference it is. unfortunatly they only have specific pumps
on that calc. you can't plug in your own specs.
I choose a similar pump and got 2100 gph flowing with just the plumbing for the chiller.

RGibson

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the temperature of the water in and out of the chiller is the best way to chech the flow,this how its is done for large chillers.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: