• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How hard is it to build a sump out of glass? Because of the footprint of my 92 corner bow, I can only fit a 20 gallon under there. I'm thinking of custom building a 30x30x18 with a refugium. I really don't care about aesthetics, just strength. Is it a matter of just siliconing the glass together? I'll work on design and post later on.

Steven

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Technically its just siliconing glass panels together, but you need to make sure you have the right type of silicone. Most silicones say they are not for aquarium use or "below waterline applications" You might be able to talk to a tank builder and find out what kind or brand they use.
The second problem with building a triangular tank is that you need to grind the edges of the glass to the correct angle to get enough contact area for the silicone to stick. This will probably make this project too expensive to bother with.

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Deanos,

No offense to Herman, but I've been waiting for pics of his sump setup for almost 2 months.

Aaron,
This is going to be a square tank 18" tall. As long as the silicone is 100% silicone it's usually ok. Also the Lowes by us will cut glass to size.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Acrylic will be much easier to drill and work with.

Otherwise 1/4" thick glass, some GE Silicone II, corner clamps, bar clamps, and some trial and error will get you a leak free sump. 1/8" glass is too thin to play with first time and may not stand up to rough use under a stand with moving equipment in and out of.

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Acrylic would be my first choice, if I could find a place to cut my pieces to size. I've worked with acrylics before and I'm still picking pieces of melted acrylic out of my table saw.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: