• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Anyone have any experience/tips on using silicone to glue an overflow and baffles? I can't keep the overflow neat in the display. The baffles I'm less concerned about since its in the sump.

I've done it once but had to rip it out and clean all the silcone off. Don't want to do that again.

Looking for advise. Thanks.

Vance

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
^^agreed. make sure the overflow is held in place somehow. i would use tape around the area being siliconed. this way you end up w/ a straight line after removing the tape.

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I've setup some blocks to keep the spacing firm already. I just added tape to the glass so after I'm done putting down the silcone I can peel the tape off and hopefully make a clean line.

nycmat

nYo
Rating - 98.2%
55   1   0
for baffles use a block and a clamp to hold everything in place. then use a spoon to even out the silicone once applied. then let it sit there until dry. afterwards spply one more time. DO the center baffle 1st before the others to ensure accuracy and leveling. then do the 2 surrounding ones. blocks are not needed obviously. then test it. to ensure that it works.

firehazard

firehazard
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
just my 2 cents. instead of using a spoon to even out the silicon. wet your finger and pass it on top of the silicon. this helps get into the creases better. make sure finger is wet, to get the smooth finish.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: